Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #1 
LittleBlueFishlets

Silk plants from craft store?

Is it OK to use silk plants from a crafts store (like Michael's)?

I like the idea of DIY decorations but I don't want to put anything in the tank that could be harmful.

Thanks!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #2 
homegrown terror

watch out, a lot of them have metal cores in the stems (to make the plants bendable/poseable) and "no metals" is pretty much the number one rule of tank decorating. other than that, if you could find out what kind of plastic the stems are made of, and what kind of dyes the leaves use, we could definitely tell you if they're safe!
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #3 
Gryphon

like homegrown terror said, unless you can find out exactly what dyes were used, it is almost impossible to say if they would safe in a tank or not.

Personally, I'd just not risk it. I've used them fine in reptile tanks, but they were not submerged in water.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #4 
Cez

I'd also advise against it. A lot of craft stores like Michaels or Joanne Fabrics use a perfume on their false plants, and that can't be good for any aquatic critters.
Cez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #5 
LizzyP

Also found some that have glitter on them...Last thing you need is a sparkly fish and tank. O_O
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #6 
Myates

I've used some with no ill effects.. as mentioned before stay away from the fragrance and glitter. You will want to soak them for a day or two to remove any excess dye.
Find some with no metal in the stems - you may have to trim them and then use aquarium sealant to glue them together to make your own plant... just use stems from old plastic aquarium plants you don't want anymore, and then glue the new flowers and their short stems on it, etc. Get creative!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote