Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #1 
mstenorsaxplayer

Heavy Breathing

Lil Sano and I were watching tv togather when he fell asleep. He normally sleeps near the top of his tank, but since he hasn't been feeling well he started sleeping at the bottom. I glanced over to check on him and noticed that he was breathing hard. I woke him up. He is trained to follow my hand, so I motiond for him to go up. He did, but slower than normal. When he got up to the top he took a breathe. About 5 minutes later his breathing was normal.
Nothing about the water has changed. I do 50% changes on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. Tuesday, thursday, and Saturday are 100% water changes. He has been constipated lately so he is fasting. I gave him about a fourth of a pea. I had to take the plant out of his tank because he kept trying to eat it.
I don't know why he randomly started to breathe hard, but I was wondering if something might could be wrong when he sleeps? Maybe he was having a bad dream? His breathes are very shallow when he is sleeping.
mstenorsaxplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:01 AM   #2 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstenorsaxplayer View Post
Lil Sano and I were watching tv togather when he fell asleep. He normally sleeps near the top of his tank, but since he hasn't been feeling well he started sleeping at the bottom. I glanced over to check on him and noticed that he was breathing hard. I woke him up. He is trained to follow my hand, so I motiond for him to go up. He did, but slower than normal. When he got up to the top he took a breathe. About 5 minutes later his breathing was normal.
Nothing about the water has changed. I do 50% changes on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. Tuesday, thursday, and Saturday are 100% water changes. He has been constipated lately so he is fasting. I gave him about a fourth of a pea. I had to take the plant out of his tank because he kept trying to eat it.
I don't know why he randomly started to breathe hard, but I was wondering if something might could be wrong when he sleeps? Maybe he was having a bad dream? His breathes are very shallow when he is sleeping.
I think people may need more info about your tank and husbandry, can you please answer these questions :)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #3 
mstenorsaxplayer

What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? not yet
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? he has been fasting because I thought he was constipated. Tetramin Tropical Flakes, Bettamin Tropical Medley, Tetra Betta floating mini pellets, and everyone in a while for a snack he can have a couple freeze dried bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? He is only being feed 1/4 of a pea every 24 hours because of the bloated stomach. Normally he can have a few pellets or flakes 2x a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 100% everyday. His tank seems to be getting cloudy very easily the past week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle start right and Tetra easybalance

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bloated belly. At first it was only noticalbe from the side. Now it is noticeable from above also.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He sleeps more. He sleeps at the bottom of the tank with his head down. He doesn't seem as excited and wiggley as he normally is.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I thought it was from constipation. I did a 48 hour fast. Then I started giving him epsom slat baths. He only had like 3 of them. Now he is fasting without epsom salt baths, but is being feed 1/4 of a pea every 24 hours. I saw where he did poop and it was yellow. To make sure it was just from the pea a fed him a very tiny flake. 30 minutes later when I got back, he had pooped yellow stuff again and the flake. The flake didn't look to even be digested. A few minutes later he started to throw up yellow stuff.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
1 year
Old 11-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #4 
paloverde

Hi, so sorry that your fish is ill, I looked at your care sheet & that you are using jungle start right. That product used to be salt based, perhaps you might want to find out if it still has salt. Some water treatments don't play nice with others.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #5 
mstenorsaxplayer

it is salt based. Should I stop using it? It says it conditions tap water and removes heavy metals. If I don't use it, what should I use?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #6 
paloverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstenorsaxplayer View Post
it is salt based. Should I stop using it? It says it conditions tap water and removes heavy metals. If I don't use it, what should I use?
Seachem's prime is as good as it gets, it covers a plethora of water issues. It is super economical also, 2 or so drops per gal.
Just wanted to add that the tetra easy balance is not doing much good since you do 100% water changes, the beneficial bacteria are never going grow...perhaps you might consider to stop adding it.

Last edited by paloverde; 11-13-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: my bad
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #7 
mstenorsaxplayer

awesome. thank you :)