Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #1 
fishyMcDoodle

5.5 Gal Filter

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what filter is best for a 5.5 gal tank? I've been searching around the forums and cannot find a definite answer - I'm currently using the Tetra Whisper 10i but let's just assume I won't use it any more.

I'm picky about the filter but I think it's justified to keep my betta buddy thriving. In no particular order are some of the things I'd prefer in a filter.
- Requires no tinkering to be betta friendly
- does not take up lots of space in the tank (Tetra Whisper 10i takes a decent amount of space)
- can house BB
- is quiet

I don't mind if these exact specifications are not all present, but i'd like to come close to this list. Would this mean that the AquaClear 20 is my only option? I appreciate any recommendations! Thanks :D
fishyMcDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #2 
inuudo

I have two 5.5 gallon tanks. One has an Aquaclear 20 and one has a TopFin Power 10 (which is the one packaged with the 5.5 TopFin starter kit). The Aquaclear has more power (100gph vs 80 gph), takes up less space hanging off the back, and is quieter. That's the one I would recommend.

I also have an Aquaclear 20 on my ten gallon neon tank and a 50 on my 25 gallon.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #3 
SinX7

AquaClear 20 would be excellent for a 5.5 Gallon! Easy to install and maintain and hardly any tinkering.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #4 
fishyMcDoodle

Thank you inuudo and SinX7, this greatly helps with my future purchase :D it's good to receive advice from fellow betta enthusiasts so yup I'm happy. All the best!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #5 
pittipuppylove

I have a Marina s10 Slim in two 5.5 gallon betta tanks (one at work and one in my dorm), and I love it for this size tank. It's very adjustable, to the extent that at the lowest setting you probably don't need to baffle it. Since the motor is actually inside the tank, it is virtually silent. Changing the filter media is super easy, the media appears to have a decent amount of surface area for BB to grow on, and it comes with a sponge to go over the intake. You can't go wrong with the AquaClears, though - I have a couple on other tanks and doubt that they'll ever go bad.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #6 
inuudo

That's a good point about the need to baffle to filter. I have sponge baffle material attached to the Aquaclear 20 in my betta tank. I bought one of the Fluval Edge pre-filter sponges for the intake and cut a piece of sponge to fit the outflow.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #7 
RaptorX8

I have the AquaClear 20 as well. Have it set up exactly like inuudo there with the sponges. I also have it ghetto'd up since having the fluval pre-filter sponge on the intake makes the little push clip in the back to make the filter level no longer work, I just cut up pieces of cardboard and stuck them between the filter and the tank to raise it up. Works like a charm.
RaptorX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #8 
fishyMcDoodle

I bought the AquaClear 20, do you think it's advisable for me to run both filters simultaneously so that the new one can build up some BB? And how long would that usually take?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #9 
RaptorX8

Best thing is if you can take the media from the old filter and cram it into the new one. If not, you could run both but I have no idea how long it would take to build up enough BB to sustain the tank by itself.
RaptorX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #10 
fishyMcDoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorX8 View Post
Best thing is if you can take the media from the old filter and cram it into the new one. If not, you could run both but I have no idea how long it would take to build up enough BB to sustain the tank by itself.
Thanks Is it possible to scrape the BB from my previous filter onto the new filter media or will this kill the bacteria? i don't think the older filter's parts can be crammed in

EDIT: and there are no fish in the tank, according to my API kit, it just finished cycling two days ago.