Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #1 
jesskr77

Fungus?

My betta has what looks like a pretty bad fungal infection. I tried treating him with aquarium salt, then added bettafix and i am now on my fourth day of Maracyn Oxy treatment. The box says to use it for no more than five days and i was wondering if i should do a water change and continue for another five days or move on to another method.

I have noticed a slight improvement over the course of the salt/bettafix treatment. No noticable change in the last four days since starting Maracyn Oxy. I don't know if i should go back to using bettafix or continue with Maracyn or try something different. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

It looks awful but he still eats normally and is very active so hopefully its not to late to save him.
Attached Images

jesskr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #2 
Goldibug

What is your tank size?
Water change schedule/% changed?
Water parameters (ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte)?
Is the tank heated/filtered?

If any of these things are not ideal for a betta he won't get better. In fact if your ammonia or nitrIte are at unhealthy levels it can cause more harm than good to use medications. Please provide the information above and I'll be able to help you better.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #3 
jesskr77

What is your tank size? 2 gallons
Water change schedule/% changed? once per week about 90% water change
Water parameters (ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte)? I dont have a test kit
Is the tank heated/filtered? No. I didn't realize until he got sick that betta's needed all that stuff. I know i should probably get a heater but i read conflicting things about the ideal temp depending on whether it was a fungus or bacteria. Also I had a friend who had a heater and her betta died after a sudden change in the temp when her power went out so it kind of scares me.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #4 
Goldibug

His tank is a little bit on the small side. I don't recommend anything smaller than 3 gallons but with frequent water changes you should be okay. I recommend doing two 50 percent water changes each week with how small your tank is and without a filter. Purchase a heater for the tank. It is essential that a betta has the water 75 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. The lack of heat alone can cause fungus to develop. If a power outage occurs quickly cover the tank with a thick blanket and it will help retain the heat in the tank until the power turns back on. Once you get a heater for the tank you can dose the tank with jungle fungus cure. The medicine does stain things blue so be prepared or move him into a quarantine tank.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #5 
jesskr77

So i should stop the Maracyn Oxy and get a different fungus treatment. I was looking for something like Jungle Fungus elimination or clear at my pet store and i couldn't find it. The Maracyn Oxy was the only thing that said it was used to treat true fungus.

Also I just measured the water temp with a meat thermometer and it is currently 73. Im going to get a heater i guess but what temperature should i keep it at for fungus treatment. 75-85 seems like a broad range and 75 is only two degrees warmer than it is now.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #6 
Goldibug

80 degrees or higher is usually best for medicine treatment. If the Marycin Oxy isn't working then I would switch to the jungle fungus cure. Walmart usually carries it if you can get to a Walmart.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #7 
jesskr77

Thanks for your help! I found something called tetra fungus guard that has the same ingredients as the jungle brand stuff so i am using that and i've got a heater now too.

Do you have any idea how long it should take to clear up?
Old 11-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #8 
Goldibug

Follow the directions on the package. Sometimes it takes 2 doses of the medication to clear it up.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #9 
jesskr77

Is it possible that the heat may have made it worse. I have been attempting to treat him for about a month and a half now and it hasn't gotten any worse until today. It now looks like it has grown conciderably. I am also concerned because he refused to eat today and normally he is a beast when we feed him and always finishes every last pellet. He is just floating at the top by the heater all of the time. I know the medication could be making him less active and affecting his appitite but it shouldn't have caused the fungus to grow all of the sudden when it has stayed stable all this time. I'm really worried about him now. Any suggestions?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #10 
jesskr77

considerably... i should read things before i post them.