Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #1 
Fishiey

Unhappy Help!! Fin rot/fin biting

Hi, first of all this is my first time making a thread because I just registered myself here just a while ago. But I've been reading threads here since I got my betta (FishieY) around a couple of months ago. Okay, so for the background history, when I first got FishieY he had Fungus for maybe a week..At first he was okay but after few days he became lethargic and doesn't eat all fins clamp up together..you wont even notice he's a betta fish coz you wont see his long fins. But then I bought this Warley Fungus-ade and after 2 days of treatment he began to eat.

Then he got better until yesterday (approx. 2 months) I notice that his long beautiful tails is shredded..And once I saw him turning around just to bit his own long tail. So I went to the pet store where my friend bought him and talk to someone who knows a lot about betta. She told me that it is tail rot and because there is fungus in the tail, Fishiey tends to bite it to ease the itchiness or something. So she gave me this API PIMAFIX and ask me to put 2.5ml everyday for 7 days.This is the second day since I started using that.

So before I add the PIMAFIX to his water yesterday, I did a 50% water change first, coz when I check his water parameters the ammonia level is just too high (1.0). Then today I checked it again, and it just went down to 0.5 but I know its still high for him. So I checked our tap water ammonia level and it turns out that the ammonia level for our tap water is 0.25. So now I dont really know what to do anymore. Should i change his water everyday until the ammonia goes down? but then again I'm treating him for his Fin-rot. And I should continuously do the treatment for 7 days.

Please somebody help me. My mom and I love Fishiey so much coz we think we've been in through many things already..He survive his first disease and we really hope he will survive in this one too..He is a very sweet betta..everytime we come back from uni or work he's already waiting in out usual "meet and greet" area. He will jump and excitedly always welcoming us. And I taught him how to jump if im giving him food and we always play together..he loves playing with us. So please help me save him. He is still normal, still eating..its just his tails..
Fishiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #2 
Fishiey

His water parameters

Housing
What size is your tank? 20 L or 5 Gal
What temperature is your tank? 26 degree Celsius or 79 in Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? none
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none, he did have a cat fish few days ago..but it only last 3 hours coz Fishiey is such a bully and grumpy..

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Bio Gold Perfectly Size Pellet
How often do you feed your betta fish? 5 pellets in morning and 5 at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? there's heaps of things..Aqua One water conditioner. Aqua One Tropical Conditioning Salt, API proper PH 7.0, water Stability to help builds bacteria for ammonia and now the API PIMAFIX

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0.5
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.2
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? just the fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he's not as energetic as he was before. he still jumps when I play with him and eats though..but he jumps lower than before.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yeah since yesterday..i put 2.5ml of PIMAFIX in his 20 L tank.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yeap fungus disease.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him a couple of months ago.
here's pictures of his before and present..
Name:  healthy.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  41.8 KB
Name:  sick fishiey.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  53.9 KB
Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #3 
shellieca

He looks like my Simon so of course I think he's beautiful. his fins don't look too bad, at least not in the pics. Personally, I just use fresh, clean, warm, conditioned water to heal up the fins. If your tank is completely cycled it should process out the .25 ammonia & I would do another water change to get the ammo from .5 to .25 which is better than .5. I wouldn't add anything to the water except the water conditioner, adjusting the Ph chemically causes more problems than its worth. You shouldn't need the bacteria booster if your tank is cycled unless you are changing your filter media which even then you shouldn't need it. As for the salt, I don't use it unless I'm treating for something & even then I use it rarely & only for a short time. I don't see in the pics signs of fin rot, usually the edges are black. It is possible the damage is coming from the filter intake arm, a plant or decoration. It looks like you're keeping his environment clean & fin rot is typically caused by bad water quality. Are you actually seeing a fungus, im not seeing it the pics? What does it look like? The "fixes" are controversial however I have used Melafix & Pimafix simultaneously for short periods of time with success.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #4 
Fishiey

Post Thank you

Shellieca thank you very much for the advise..I just did what you told me to do. about the fungus, Fishiey did have a fungus but that was when I first got him. Because my friend just gave him to me as a gift so when she bought him, he's already sick. But I got him treated so everything is good now. The only problem he has now is his tail..Fishiey is a long tailed betta and it hurts to see him with just half the length of his tail before.. And until this morning he keeps turning around just to bite his tail, but because its way too short already he can't bite now. about the Proper PH 7.0 I use that because the PH of the tap water itself is 7.6 and I think that's too high for him. well Im not too sure if PH 7.6 will be alright for him. what do you reckon..But really, hope his taill will heal fast..
Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #5 
shellieca

Glad he's healed up. I've not had a tail biter but I read about often enough on this forum so its not uncommon. It is better for your Ph to be stable & 7.6 will be fine, he will adjust to it. When using chemicals to adjust your Ph there can actually be large fluctuations which are more stressful than a stable 7.6. If you still want to lower it, you can use driftwood or other more natural things but just be careful it doesn't lower to much otherwise it can mess up a cycled tank.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #6 
Wendyjo

Off topic, but your heater worries me bring partially out of the water that way. Check the instructions that came with it as many heaters, especially glass heaters, have to be totally submerged or they can explode.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote