Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #1 
rmarkham

1 eye cloudy, not sure what to do?

Hi,

I noticed that my male plakat has 1 cloudy eye. It does not appear to be inflamed, but I did a 50% water change yesterday.

I am in the midst of Hurricane Sandy, so I'm hesitant to do more water changes because I may lose power..

I use vitachem, and kordon fish protector, and made sure to add that to his tank last night.

He's acting fine, and I can't get a picture of it because he's crazy and never sits still.

He's been eating fine, I've been feeding him NLS betta pellets and occasionally frozen food as well.

Tank parameters
Temp- 82
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-5
pH-6.6
Set up since 8/12, although I had him in a 2.5 gallon with same plants and gravel since 1/12

Thoughts?

I can't go out for a few day because of the weather.. in fact my TV just started freaking out.. oh no! I need cable if I'm going to be trapped!
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Usually when it is just one eye-it is due to an injury. Other causes-but usually it will be both eyes-poor water quality, high nitrate, chlorine, bacteria, age, vitamin deficiency (vit A) and eye flukes (no treatment and usually not fatal)

When it is injury related-about all you can do is prevent a secondary infection by maintaining water quality and good nutrition to support the immune response.

Keep safe during the storm......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #3 
rmarkham

Okay, good! I'll be sure to use garlic for food soakings and maintain superior water! I love this little guy. He probably jammed his eye in the gravel looking for pellets...
Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #4 
AidenBlack

please pay very close attention to him the next couple of days, i had a new fish i had purchased for my fiance a couple months ago and we were unable to save him...it started with a cloudy eye, his eye later became swollen, he became lethargic, stopped eating and passed. your best bet if he appears to worsen is to do the following.

get some melafix and pimafix
remove your carbon filter and replace it with a clean unused sponge of somesort
get some aquarium salt

dose with both pimafix and melafix daily as indicated on the bottles, however with melafix you have to be careful as it can kill the labyrinth organ if over dosed. i use slightly less than the recomended dosage if i have a sick fish when combining with pimafix

add some aquarium salt (quantity indicated on box) (keep in mind, when you do a water change, only add enough salt that would replace the amount that was removed) example if you have to do 1 ounce per five gallons and you have a ten gallon tank, the first dose would be 2 ounces. when you do a 20% water change, you would only add enough salt to cover that twenty percent

every two days do a 25% water change

when treatment is complete, remove sponge and put in a new carbon filter, do a 50% water change to help remove any remaining medication from the tank

please observe your little guy very closely, also, keep any lights off if he becomes worse as lights will stress him out and make sure he has a smooth comfy surface he can lay on if he wants too

oh and i almost forgot, if sandy knocks out your power and he becomes worse, you will need to do the water change, get a clean pale, or some water jugs, and fill them with water that you can use for your little guy should the power go out.

hope it is just a small injury, i hate to see little fish suffer :( take care and good luck, any questions pm me
AidenBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-Be careful using medications-over medicating, treating for unknown reason, using non-therapeutic dosages...etc....It can often be fatal, cause resistant issues, make it worse, toxic issue and mask the real problem.

The chemistry of your source water itself can sometimes cause these medication to be ineffective or to become toxic at the recommended dosages.

Sometimes-no matter what you do the fish may not survive-Diagnosis over the internet are "best guesses" at best-Based on the information provided. Many variables at play with diagnosis and treatments-as well as deaths-
Often deaths will be associated with the last thing that was done/used or not done-when it had nothing to do with the finial outcome.

That said, its your Betta and your choice-only you can decide what is best.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #6 
rmarkham

I would never use Melafix on a betta because it can be very toxic for them and their labyrinth organ.. I really don't think it's an infection because I have perfect water parameters, quality etc. Pimafix is for fungal infections, and I really don't suspect that either.. This particular fish is crazy and swims around super fast all the time, he's been like that since I've had him.. I'm sure he just whacked his eye on the gravel while looking for fallen food.

I've had this guy since January of this year, and he was in very rough shape when I got him, he's a little fighter.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #7 
rmarkham

Hi.. I wanted to give an update/ask for help..

His eye looks much better, but he's been very slow lately he spends most of the day lying at the bottom of the tank.. and I don't know why?

I'm starting to get worried... He still eat when I offer food, and he doesn't have any issue swimming/isn't bloated at all..
Old 11-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I would make some daily 50% water only changes for 2-3 days and see if that perks him up.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #9 
rmarkham

Okay, I'm going to do one right now!

I love my little Magikarp :(
Old 11-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #10 
rmarkham

I did 50% water changes a few days in a row and haven't noticed any difference.. He's still eating and can get around just fine buy one of his eyes is still cloudy..

It definitely hasn't gotten any worse, but he is laying on his leaves more and more, I've had him since January of this year and he normally would only do that at night when he would sleep. It might be in my head, but he looks like he might be losing some color too and I don't know why!

I feel if it was an infection that it would have gotten worse or spread... this is just some stagnant situation and I'm at a loss here.