Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #1 
weaver72

Very sick betta,Please help

My friend has a red Vt who is in a 2 gal,heater and get's feed 2-5 pellets a day sometimes more. The betta has lost his color and fin's are clamped and won't eat,hanging around the top of the tank to breath or just sitting on the bottom, this all happened after a water change! Yet the heater is keeping the water at only 71 -73 and also when my friend removed him from his tank to do a water change some of his finnage came off!

Thank you for listening- Please help!
weaver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

71-73 is too cold, it should be above 76, I keep mine 78-80F. So please turn up the heat, slowly, a degree or two very hour until its at the desired temp. If the heater isn't adjustable get a new heater if possible. What is your friends normal water change schedule? Is he or she using a water conditioner? Is the tank filtered? How long has it been set up? When you say some of the finnage came off, how bad?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #3 
weaver72

I know his heat needs to be higher he is having problems with these heater's he keeps buying,I have the same heaters and they keep my small tanks at 82 and my big at 79! he has no filter, does use water conditioner,He has had his betta for about 3 months!His water change schedule is to often I think ,he does it everyother day!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #4 
sainthogan

Ok, you said this happened after a water change. Did your friend remember to put in water conditioner?
Also, try to have him find a heater that works, he may have to get a different brand if he's having the same problem. He needs to make sure he has the correct wattage for the size of tank he has as well, otherwise, they won't work properly.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

What water conditioner? Is he adding anything else to the water? When he does water changes is it 100% evry time? Is he cleaning the substrate? Depending on the size of the pellets he may want to cut back but I would definitely be more consistent with the amount being fed. Plus I would add frozen foods such as blood worms, daphnia p, brine shrimp.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #6 
NorthernLights

heater

71 degrees is very cold for a betta. Find out exactly which heater he has and perhaps where he is getting them from.

As the weather gets colder, most people's houses do, too. The non-adjustable heaters are designed to raise the water temp by a few degrees, which is often no where near adequate for a betta. This probably wasn't obvious before when the weather was warmer, but it can be fixed fairly easily.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #7 
weaver72

Well I want to thank everyone for their help-But sadly little TA(taylor anthony) passed away yesterday around 5!these bettas at times their lives are so fragile and we could only hope for the best! Swim on TA to that big ocean in the sky!