Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #1 
laurenmekal

Smile 5.5 gallon tank decor question!

i have a 5.5 gallon filtered tank (see attachment)
i'm wondering how many more rocks / plants / decorations i should put in the tank. i have one young female betta.
i dont want to over crowd the tank but it looks so bare!
thanks for the advice!
Attached Images

laurenmekal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #2 
tromboneplaya

You could put in a lot more stuff if you want....more silk plants or even another cave could be added and I don't think it would look overcrowded. Looks like a good setup though!
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #3 
MistersMom

Yeah a few more silk plants a marimo ball, stuff like that, they like to swim through plants and rest on them
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #4 
jeremywadejunior

I always recommend Petco's medium to large silk plants because I really like them. They fan out and can cover a lot of area with just one plant. Here is an example:

http://www.petco.com/product/118946/...20Plant-118946
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #5 
Wendyjo

I was looking at their silks today at Petco - they are so fake looking! Pink, purple, yellow flowers, white leaves - nothing realistic looking at all. In my opinion Petsmart has a much more realistic selection, but they cost more.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #6 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
I was looking at their silks today at Petco - they are so fake looking! Pink, purple, yellow flowers, white leaves - nothing realistic looking at all. In my opinion Petsmart has a much more realistic selection, but they cost more.
It all depends what you want your tank to look like! I've been happy with the ones I've purchased.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #7 
kfryman

If you ant realistic plants, why not try real then? Honestly if you do everything right they aren't hard at all.

Here's what you would need:
6500k lightbulb, this can be found at Petsmart or Petco
API Leaf zone (Petsmart carries this)
Seachem Root Tabs (Not API's) (Optional depending on plants)
That's all.

You then just need the plants which are cheaper then the fakes. Wisteria, java fern or anubias (both an be tied to your cave), sword or crypts (these should have Seachem Root Tabs). Those are super easy plants, I can recommend more, but those should be easy for you. I recommend looking at pictures of these plants, don't go buying any plant because some that pet stores sell aren't even fully aquatic!
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #8 
Wendyjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
If you ant realistic plants, why not try real then? Honestly if you do everything right they aren't hard at all.
I use real plants in my large tank and a mix of real and fake in my nano tanks. I like to completely disinfect my tanks after a betta passes, including replacing the gravel, and find that live plants in the substrate are a pain in the butt. So I use rhizome plants attached to decor, floaters, and usually one tall fake plant (to hide the heater) and provide a place for the fish to rest at the top level of the tank.

And I also agree that the look of the fake plants are a matter of taste and preference, and did not mean for my comment about them to sound insulting. I'm an adult with a small house so my tanks are part of the decor in my main living spaces, so I prefer a natural look rather than bright, unnatural colors. If I kept a tank in my bedroom or some other spot more private then I would probably do a purple themed tank.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #9 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
And I also agree that the look of the fake plants are a matter of taste and preference, and did not mean for my comment about them to sound insulting.
Oh, no worries! :)

Tags
decor, tank