Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #1 
Bsalem05

My cat swallowed a needle...

So last night around 2am I just about to turn my computer off and head for bed when I noticed my cat Shay sort getting ready to throw up (cat ppl know what this kind of looks like) well she ending up heaving out this sort of mucousy dangle and tried to get it out with her paws which alerted me that it wasnt normal throw up (ew! lol) after she kind of ate it back in the ran downstairs like a bat out of hell... so after a couple of more heaving and trying to get something out of her mouth I noticed some blood so now I knew she ate/swallowed something.. (did not know it was a needle till later at vets) so had to take her to the emergency vet.. while there (had to wait some time) she seemed to have calmed down and was purring.. well I felt around her throat and could actually feel something pushing out.. (freaked me out!) I figured she swallowed it into a position that was more "comfortable" for her and that's why she was calmer.

Well $700+ later shes OK now. They ended up sedating her and got it out.. it was stuck at the back base of the tongue and I believe they made a small incision where it was "pushing" out and got it out.. PHEW! so 3 hrs of sleep went to work for a couple of hours.. and now back home to try and take a nap... what an ordeal!

And I still need to get my other cats teeth cleaned the end of this week!
I will end up having to sell some jewelry my grandmother left me to pay for all these things.. but nothing is to much for my fur babies..
Bsalem05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #2 
megaredize

how did she manage to find a needle? thats so scarey. im glad she is okay now. im sure it hurt a lot
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #3 
Viva

Glad your kitty is ok! I would have FREAKED OUT if I saw any type of blood coming from my cats... but $700 to get a needle out with no surgery!?...that's so messed up. My friend's cat did the same exact thing but it was stuck in his throat (you could actually see it when you opened his mouth) and the vet simply pulled it out. Didn't cost anywhere near $700. Although her mom worked at the vet clinic so...
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #4 
RandyTheBettaFish

Wow O.O scary! Poor kitty...
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #5 
Irishdancer

Oh my goodness! Poor cat, I'm glad she's fine now.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #6 
Bsalem05

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaredize View Post
how did she manage to find a needle? thats so scarey. im glad she is okay now. im sure it hurt a lot
Mended a shirt couple of days ago and had the needle in the thread spool on my dresser not thinking she would be able to get to it.. well she sure proved me wrong..
Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #7 
Bsalem05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
Glad your kitty is ok! I would have FREAKED OUT if I saw any type of blood coming from my cats... but $700 to get a needle out with no surgery!?...that's so messed up. My friend's cat did the same exact thing but it was stuck in his throat (you could actually see it when you opened his mouth) and the vet simply pulled it out. Didn't cost anywhere near $700. Although her mom worked at the vet clinic so...

Working at the vet does help with the cost! lol

The clinic I went to is notoriously expensive.. but only one with 24hr emergency in area..

when they opened her mouth they could not see the needle so they did have to sedate her and ended up making a cut from the outside of her neck to get it out.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #8 
LadyVictorian

OMG this is my worst nightmare because I sew a lot and when I do my cat likes to pull needles out of my pin cushion and run off with them then leave them someplace I'll step on them when I chase her down. I think I would have to be sedated if Raven ate a needle, she's like my child and a truly one of a kind little kitty (chirps like a bird and all that, can't meow, and sings like a morning dove.)

I guess I am going to start keeping my sewing room shut up tight when I'm working on things now and check my emergency vet funds to make sure I have a good decent amount for any vet bills. Last I looked i had some $200 set aside for emergencies.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #9 
Bsalem05

Name:  qqq.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  26.2 KB
Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #10 
LadyVictorian

My god what a beautiful animal, look at that face, those eyes. She's like the flesh embodiment of Basset. Looks a lot like an Oriental cat too.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote