Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #1 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

How do you care for worm cultures?

SO I will have white worms, micro worms, banana worms, and vineger eels. I was wondering if some one could tell me how to care for these as I have no idea. You can email me care sheets to at bettalover98@gmail.com Please help me as I need to have everything set up as it is up to my sister to dump them in the containers lol so every thing needs to be ready as i will be gone. Any information is appreiciated!
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #2 
RandyTheBettaFish

Ive had both micro worms and banana worms. They are super easy. Basically just add oatmeal to a plastic container, making sure the oatmeal is room temp so it won't fry the worms! (did that once) Add more oatmeal to the container when it starts to get low. Ive never had the other kinda of worms though so I can't help with that!
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #3 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Yep for MWs I just use porridge oats, add some boiling water and let them sit until they cool. You don't want them too sloppy or too dry, somewhere in the middle is good. I then sprinkle a couple of pinches of yeast over the top of this and then spoon out my MW culture onto the porridge and yeast medium.

Once the culture starts smelling or looking a little off I repeat the above steps and move as much of my old culture over as I can. I just did this a couple of days back and I already have a heap of MWs crawling up the sides.

I like to keep my cultures going indefinitely even if I have no fry. They are handy to have and nothing worse than ending up with fry and having only immature or worse, no cultures, to use.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #5 
RandyTheBettaFish

Hey no problem! Glad to help(:
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #6 
GhostFeather

For Micros,Bananna,Walter Worms,I use instant potatoes instead of oats,everything else like the others said.
For Vinagar Eels,a gallon container(pickle jar works good)50% Apple Cider Vinagar,50% water,an Apple cut in half,put your culture in the jar,cover with Cheese Cloth and a Rubber Band.
White Worms or Grindals,any worm bedding mix you can get at a fishing supply store(I get mine at WalMart),add water untill it is damp(you should be able to grab some and make a ball that will hold together,with a few drops of water coming out when you squeeze it gently).
Depending on how many worms you get,they should eat the food in 1 week.
A piece of bread(I use whole wheat)cut it into strips(as big as you want)spread some good,no flavor yogurt on each piece,put it yogurt side down,spray it with water(not tap water)untill it is wet and soft,sprinkle some yeast on it and they will eat it.
You can change to Fish flake food also,sprayed with water,thier food needs to be wet.
Alge Wafers are good also,they have alot of protein in them.
Like the saying says"You are what you eat"!,same thing for your worms and fish.
Hope this helps!!
Bill
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #7 
GhostFeather

I forgot,put 1/2 of your apple in the container with you VEs,eat the other half!!
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Even though you didn't mention grindals (awesome food for bigger fry also), I just wanted to add to what Bill has said, that a less messier way of culturing grindals is to use scourer pads instead. I use these and my culture is still going strong 6 or so months after I started it.

My grindals absolutely love dried cat or dog food. I just moisten a few pieces, leave them on the top of the scourer pad and in a day or so they are all gone.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #9 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

You guys are super helpful and I have decided to do the following for each culture
White worms - What is worm bedding?
Micro worms - Use rolled oats pour boiling water into it allow it to cool and add a few pinches of yeast and then add the worms
Banana worms- do what I did for the micro worms but mix mushed up banana into it
Vineger eels- I have a couple 1 gal jars laying around I will fill half with apple cider vineger and half with water. eat half an apple and stick in the other half lol Thanks a lot you guys are very helpfull. By the way I have never heard of instant potatoes lol.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

I actually just use peat moss with some crushed coral through it to stop it from becoming too acidic in with my white worms.

They seem to be thriving so I guess they aren't too fussy.

Then I just feed them either dry cat/dog food or fish pellets once every 1-2 days depending how fast they eat them.