Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #1 
Gizmobettafish1

Please Help SICK BETTA

Hey so I've owned my first betta fish, Gizmo, for about two month. When I first got him it took about a week for him to get happy but by a week he was happy and swimming all over the tank! After about a month I had researched enough and found out I needed a bigger tank. I bought him a five gallon tank and at first he loved the new tank! Now after he has been in it for a month I have noticed his tail has started splitting. I took a sample of his water and his ph was low. I treated his tank for it and recently I have noticed everytime I go up to his tank he blows up his gills and seems angry and agressive. I know some people hold up mirrors to their betta fish but I have never done that because i dont want him angry or stressed! I don't have a heater in his tank, so I know I need to get him one of those. Do you think that is the only problem? I'm going to upload two pictures of him one with his tail and another when he puffs out his gills! Please help I dont want him to be stressed any longer!!

Gizmobettafish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #2 
XxXMermaidzXxX

The tail is fine. But if you see it turning white he has fin rot. And his tank might be a mirror tank. So replace it and put some stress coat in his new tank. HOPE THIS HELPS!

“I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again.”
~ William Penn
XxXMermaidzXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #3 
Gizmobettafish1

Okay thank you so much! I was really scared he was getting sick!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #4 
Luimeril

i see some raggid ends to his fins, but it's nothing to worry about. :V

he's flaring when he puffs out his gills. doesn't mean he's angry or stressed, he's showing off, probably to his reflection. i had one betta that would do that to EVERYTHING, and he was perfectly fine. :B he's probably just trying to scare you off when he flares at you, thinking you're a bigger fish. xD i have some that flare for a moment when i come up to their tank. after a moment, they realize it's me, and beg for food!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #5 
Gizmobettafish1

Okay thank you so much! I always get so worried about him! Hopefully he will get more used to me and beg for food and not flare at me!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #6 
xjenuhfur

He's flaring at you! I always take it as a sign of affection. Dont be worried about the flaring. Unless he never stops, like ever. Even when your away from the tank.

He could be tail biting, either way, get a heater ASAP & keep the water clean. Thats the best way to treat. (:
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #7 
Gizmobettafish1

So I changed out Gizmos tank and got him real plants to keep him happy and added a heater, but his tail just seems to keep getting worse! Is there any way anyone can look at this picture and tell me if it looks like tail rot?? thank you!! p.s. i might be being overdramatic but just worried about my little guy!