Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Can't catch a break-Filter issue

Today has been one of those days, ugh.

My mom unplugged my filter in the 3 gal this morning for some unknown reason. It was unplugged for about 3 hours before I found out. I had her plug it back in since I wasn't home. I came home tonight and did a water change in both tanks. Was cleaning the 3 gallon and took the filter cartridge out and swished it in dirty tank water. As I was putting it back into the filter it ripped open -_-. I ran it over to the trash can cut it open and took it all apart, dumped all the carbon out and even took the frame out, swished again in dirty tank water and then stuffed the fiber stuff in the filter and turned it back on, it's running fine.

Will my cycle be okay? How long do I have until I need to replace it? I know probably nothing was actually living on the carbon itself but, I worry. I'm thinking about switching filters completely to a Fluval U1 and using the foam block instead of carbon. When that time comes I'll just stuff the fabric stuff in with the foam and hope it transfers some bacteria.

Thanks,
Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #2 
paloverde

Hi, sometimes moms can be such a pain. As long as the original filter material like the fiber stuff is in the direct flow of the water that comes out of the filter things should be fine. Does your filter use a cartridge or a bag ?
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #3 
LizzyP

It is the fiber stuff, just nothing inside of it. It's just a regular pad, I don't know the difference lol. It's for a Whisper 3i filter, same filter that came with the tank.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #4 
paloverde

Ok, i'm pretty sure that one is a bag. Get a replacement filter bag (looks like the fiber stuff) for that size filter, it should have a clip at the top of the bag, remove it and cram the old fiber stuff into it, close it up with the clip and put it into the filter.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote