Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #1 
PriscillaJean

Fishy Friends for Squishy

Hey there!

Squishy is my male Siamese Fighting Fish (Betta). At the moment he is living in a 1 gallon Betta fish bowl, but I will be getting him a 10 gallon fish aquarium after the holiday for the fact that hardly anything is in stores around where I live and there's no room in the house at the moment. Anyways, I'm going to get a 10 gallon tank that will have a filter, some plants and other hiding places and maybe some glass stones (I already have some of these. There basically like marbles with a flat bottom) or other assorted stones/pebbles. It will have a light and a cap for the aquarium.

Now, on to the fun/difficult part. I don't want Squishy to be in a large 10 gallon tank all by himself. He'll get lonely. So, I'm considering what other little fishy friends or other aquatic friends I should get to accompany Squishy in his home. I'm considering maybe get two or three different fish to accompany him along with a few snails or shrimp (probably just some fish and snails though, I eat shrimp too much). I, honestly, have no idea what fish are best to accompany a male Siamese Fighting fish.

I know that there's only aloud to be one male betta per aquarium unless you use a divider, but that can cause the batta's stress. I heard that Platy, Molly, and Guppies can be places with betta's, but I'm not so sure. Are there any suggestions for a few (2-3) fishy friends for Squishy?
PriscillaJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Bettas don't get lonely, make or female. They're solitary creatures, they prefer to be alone and so forth. :) You can get 2 Nerite snails, or 1 mystery snail.
If you divide, the betta might be stressed, maybe not. It's really luck.

Platies and Guppies can work. But you'll probably need a bigger tank and female guppies. Mollies are more of a brackish water fish, so they would get sick easily. You can get tetras, but they're a little bit nippy.

So the stock is limited in the end.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #3 
PriscillaJean

Okay. I'll probably just go with the mystery snail. Though's are cool and less movement in the tank for me cat to look at haha. (My cat doesn't come in my room so don't worry!)
Old 12-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Yeah, they're pretty cool. I'm actually getting 2 for my sorority today. ^.^ they also get really big! Are you going to cycle your tank?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #5 
PriscillaJean

Yeah I probably am gonna cycle it. Why? Is it good to cycle it or does it matter?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

The cycle is very important in terms of the tank's health as well as your fish. Fish produce ammonia which can burn them. That's why water changes are made. So, if you have a filter, and cycle your aquarium; there will be no ammonia. There are 3 major dissolved bi-products. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The filter must build up a colony of beneficial bacteria to eat the 2 most toxic of the 3; ammonia and nitrite. There is no existing bacteria that will eat nitrate so water changes are still mandatory. You can learn more about cycling in the "Betta Bowls & Accessories" section.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #7 
PriscillaJean

Okay I'll go check that out. Thanks for explaining it to me.