Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #1 
Hassled

Salt Bath

If caught early, what diseases can salt baths effectively cure?
Hassled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #2 
Blacklight

I have a question about salt baths too. It seems a little complicated to keep the water at the right salinity. What's the proper way this is done when doing a water change? From what I've learned, you do a 100% water change every day when treating for Ick. For that, you have to keep the fish in a cup and re-acclimate him to the new water. The thing is, after a water change, he'll already be in salt water and adding more salt water to acclimate him could push the salinity too high or if you poured him back into the tank with the new water, it would still add extra salt from the cup he was in. How do you keep it properly measured?
The only way I can see doing it is to scoop him from the cup with a net and place him in the fresh salt water with the potential risk of shocking him with the fresh water (well, probably a minimal risk actually if you got your mix right)

To answer part of your question, I know it works for ick as I learned a few weeks ago.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #3 
BettaGirl228

Salt doesnt really do anything You need to get something called ''Bettafix'' api makes it and it works great my betta had fin rot and it cured it and his fins are growing back. DON'T USE AQUARIUM SALT I WAS TOLD IT'S THE WORST THING FOR BETTAS IT CAN MAKE THEM EVEN SICKER AND COULD ALSO BURN THEM!!!
BettaGirl228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #4 
LizzyP

BettaGirl is wrong. Salt is very effective in curing almost all external issues. I avoid anything ending in -fix. Melafix, Bettafix, anything like that. It contains tee tree oil which will coat the labyrinth organ (what bettas use to breathe from the surface) and they will suffocate.

Blacklight, a small amount of added salt water won't hurt the fish. Especially if its less than one cup of water. When doing water changes with salt I just scoop fish into cup, change the water, and put fish back in.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #5 
BettaGirl228

AQ Salt causes Kidney failure. It's not good for Fish.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #6 
BettaGirl228

Read this Thread.http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=87163
Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #7 
paloverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassled View Post
If caught early, what diseases can salt baths effectively cure?
Hi, it usually works on some parasites, fungus, it can help in a nitrite poisoning emergency. Try google & see what comes up. Back in the old days the salt baths/dips were just about all we had.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #8 
BettaGirl228

Well Lizzy you're killing your fish using AqSalt everytime you do a water change. It does not cure anything at all just makes them even sicker was told this by a professional so i guess he knows what hes talking about and im not wrong and he also said salt is the worst thing for bettas and i have been using bettafix for about a month and my bettas are heatly no dieases so idk where you get your info from but i think your the one thats wrong Btw salt can also cause kidney problems as well. Just saying!!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #9 
madmonahan

When I used bettafix my betta became VERY sick!!! Epsom salt and AQ salt help with lots of things!!! All he needed was a water change and some Epsom salt and he was all better in a few days! Im NEVER using bettafix again!
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #10 
LizzyP

Yes, if used long term it can cause kidney damage or failure, that's why there is a 10 day limit on aquarium salt. I never said I use it during every change, so I'm not sure where you got that from. I would like to see a written source of your information about salt being bad for bettas. If this person is a professional I'm sure he has articles or books or something. If you don't mind.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote