Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2012, 03:08 AM   #1 
Butterfly

Need advice on cycling, filter, plants, new tank.

Hi!

I'm going to get my betta, Fred a new tank. I'm thinking a 2.5-5 gallon glass tank will be ideal(I prefer glass).

I don't quite know where to start with the filter, type, brand, cycling, etc.
I found two tanks that I like on amazon(I will order it):

I will get a cover if I get this one so little Fred doesn't jump out.
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Chi-Aqu...I1PA07Q0C9IK2Q

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Desktop...=I5SQGCV116YNL

Does anyone have experience with the above? Or have any other glass tank suggestions that are user-friendly and available via amazon?

Filter suggestions? (brand/type)

Is there a guide to cycling?

Anything else I should know about tank keeping?
thank you!
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #2 
fishyMcDoodle

Hello :) I'm a new betta owner too but over the past two months I've learned a lot. Today, I've moved my betta into his newly cycled tank. Here's some things that may be of interest to you

- The key to cycling is patience and the API liquid test kit. Both are awesome to have. To learn more about cycling there's a sticky'd post all about it in the same section you've made this post. The key tests to have in your liquid test kits are for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH

- A heater is crucial to both the betta's health and the cycling process. 75 - 80 farenheit is the usual recommended temperature, i keep mine at a consistent 80.

- I went from a Tetra Whisper 10i filter to a AquaClear 20 filter for my 5.5 gal. I made the switch today and I already love the new purchase. If you go for the Aquaclear 20, also check the sticky about 'baffling' (I asked about filters last night on this forum and the majority vote was for AquaClear filters, this may not be a sweeping truth for all betta owners but i now have firsthand experience that testifies to its quality)

- Avoid filters that cause too much water disturbance both from the intake and the outflow, it is prone to stressing bettas from what i can tell.

- 50% water changes for a cycled 5.5 gal every week are necessary (someone please correct me if i'm wrong)

that's all that comes to mind for now, especially from my limited experience. all the best!

Last edited by fishyMcDoodle; 11-13-2012 at 03:34 AM.
fishyMcDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #3 
Butterfly

When I order the tank I also plan to order the testing kit ^_^ Fred's water is always kept at 80(or 79.5-80)

Thank you, I will check out that thread.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:55 AM   #4 
paloverde

Hi, those fluvals already come with a built-in filtration system. They are both eye catching, what size to get is best left up to what you like best. This site abounds with cycling info, just start at the stickies at the top of the home page.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #5 
Butterfly

But are those filtration systems good? reliable? betta-friendly? (meaning they won't suck the betta up/too strong/etc).
Old 11-13-2012, 04:14 AM   #6 
paloverde

They seem to be beta friendly, a lot of people house betas in them. Almost all filters require some sort of filter baffle when your dealing with bettas. Fluval is a well known brand and had as far as i know good reputation.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote