Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #31 
Shepaski

I think sully kinda chose me, I use to pick fish base on their looks/color befor but all their personalities were not too great, one always hid and the last one that passed would not get along with his tank mates.

I wasn't suppose to get sully that day actually because I wanted to restarts tank, but I happened to stop by the aquarium pet shop 3 days after my last fish died just to check out their stock. Remembered reading how to pick a Proper betta here and tested all the fish by seeing how they react to my finger, and sully was the only one who followed my finger after withdrawing slightly. There was a more beautiful red crown tail priced the same as him, compaired to the crown tail he was a boring color and had tattered fins, but he red boy kept shrinking away from my finger and wasn't too sociable as compaired to sully and his good response made me connect with him straight away, so I bought him.

He's now the best betta I've ever had, always greeting me when I get home and getting angry at me by displaying his fins if I ignore him without greeting him back, acting sick on fasting day (perp for bloodworms thenext day) and wiggling lim mad when the camera is in his face
Shepaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:55 AM   #32 
AyalaCookiejar

I got my first Betta, DaBaDee, my male VT, as kind of a gift for my boyfriend. He's more mine, obviously. I got him because my boyfriends favorite color is blue and he named him DaBaDee because he's blue (DaBaDee, dabadie).

I got Bahari because of his unique blue markings that he no longer has because he marbled, lol.

I got my girls from trusted breeders here on the forum because I wanted a good deal and healthy, socialized girls for my sorority.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #33 
xShainax

I am ashamed to admit this. I am shallow and pick them because of color
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:21 AM   #34 
Shepaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
I am ashamed to admit this. I am shallow and pick them because of color
I spot a fellow HU soldier.

nah, picking them out of color is not a crime, most people start out like that
Shepaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #35 
Polkadot

With my 3 boys it was mostly because they all came to the front showing off when I waved at them,also because all 3 were so little compared to the other fish,they just looked so tiny,especially Piglet and he has gotten so big now along with Peanut,but Button is my weenie boy,he is little compared to his brothers.Plus I really love their blue colours & cute faces.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #36 
makoisland

When I got Mako, I was trying to decide between him and a blue VT. I think part of what made me decide on him was that he probably had half the amount of water in his cup as the VT did. Other than that, though, I guess I just liked his color better. He may have been a bit more active too.
makoisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #37 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepaski View Post
I spot a fellow HU soldier.

nah, picking them out of color is not a crime, most people start out like that
Yep I am seeing them May 21. :) Undead army for life. Kinda ticked that Deuce was kicked out. I want to get a betta and name J3T
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #38 
JadeAngel

I choose them 1st for color and tail shape, and 2nd for personality.

When I was getting Saki, I saw a couple other beautiful guys, but they were so skittish and kept avoiding my finger and face. Saki was more calm and went up to my face. He was a greyish color with a lilac tint, which made me think he had potential, but his personality helped me choose him.

My other betta was color, hehe >.< I wanted a betta that could be as unique and beautiful as Saki turned out to be. Luckily, he also has a great personality. The runner up was more aggressive and less friendly, but Soren flared but not excesively, and he follows my finger and swims right up to the side of the tank when he sees me.

My husband picks the betta that "calls to him". He chose Sushi because he said there was jut "something about him". He was a royal blue crowntail when we got him, and there were 3 others just like him. But he wouldn't leave him there.

Shisu he chose because he said he reminded him of Sushi... which was a bad decision since he ended up being totally different and it disappointed him. He gave him to my daughter, and got a new one.. that I think he chose this time for color, and this one has a great personality too, so that's a bonus! He spent 5 minutes staring at him this morning because this new betta grabbed a piece of food and just swam and swam and swam while holding it in his mouth for the whole 5 minutes... longer, but he got tired of watching the little guy, lol.

So....

Saki - color and personality
Soren - color
Sushi - personality
Shisu - ? reminded of sushi?
New guy - color
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #39 
AyalaCookiejar

Nothing wrong with picking them by looks! I also think that their true personalities don't show when they're in tiny cups on a shelf.

I ordered 6 of my 8 online so I really couldn't pick personalities, lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #40 
LyraDove

I named her Lambchop as soon as I saw her. She was barely past being a baby and had such a cute, innocent little face and big, soulful black eyes -- she was adorable. She gave me 'the look' from her plastic Petco cup and I had to take her home. She's getting to be very pretty (a yellow CT with aqua iridescence and purple rays. My lil fishy warms my heart. :)
LyraDove is offline   Reply With Quote