Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #1 
PolarBearDog

euthanize?

Ok so I have been tasked with deciding the fate of my fiancee's fish. (she is also on this site, twolovers, or something like that cant remember exactly as I am not exactly as active on here as she is)

but on to the problem at hand. her fish nova has been getting sick routinely 1-2 days after he recovers from his previous sickness. she takes exquisite care of him, pays attention to every detail. and yet one clearly bad malady assaults the fish after another. this occurrence is roughly the 5th or 6th time the fish has gotten sick with something back to back continuously. At this point his quality of life has plummeted with the exception of those 2 days before he is sick again for another 2 weeks and clearly he is not likely to remain healthy.

so should i put him down? we have yet to treat him this time to see if he can fight it off and so he could remain happy in his tank, however the fin rot has destroyed enough of his fins that he has noticed and he is no longer a happy little fish. He is swimming frantically with his fins clamped as i write this. here are photos of him now. (sorry they are upside down, comp acting weird.)
Attached Images

PolarBearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #2 
Wendyjo

The truth is only she (well, and you I guess) can make that decision. If you truly feel like he has no quality of life now or in the foreseeable future then humanely putting him down may be the best thing for him. It's always a hard decision to make no matter what kind of pet it is, but ultimately it's a decision only the owner can make.

Having said that, if he was my fish I probably would euthanize him at this point rather than allow him to suffer.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #3 
lelei

There is a lil questionaire if filled out, would be best to help us help you, being that the fish has already been sick, doesn't necessarily mean it's time, let's see, depending on what he is dealing with, even if it's chronic fin rot, it may not be his last hope..fill this out, as best as you can..thanks

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #4 
PolarBearDog

Idk all the details to those things but...

it is a 5 gal natural planted tank. still some 50% water changes as it is moderately newly planted. adds bettasafe to the new water. she has tested the water before and everything was fine, though i do not know the specifics. the fish is moderately young, a year or so i believe. we feed him blood worms and pellets.
PolarBearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #5 
twolovers101

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 ghost shrimp and a mystery snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One betta buffet and FD blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets per day (yes he is still eating)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner and stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.8
Hardness: NA
Alkalinity: NA

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Scrape? on top of head, dissolving finnage
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? slightly clamped
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes... *sigh* he had this fin dissolving thing before, took me a month to get rid of it, he was in a 1 gal heated hospital tank for that time, tried AQ salt, stopped the rot until I had to stop the AQ salt, then the rot started up again, treated with maracyin I and II, that got rid of it for a while, did 100% water changes every couple of days and his fins started to regrow... put him in his new tank and 3 days later he developed the rot again, and now has a scrape on his head, which may or may not have gotten bigger, can't really tell...

So here's the deal, I'm not trying to be heartless please don't get me wrong and please PLEASE don't yell at me for considering to put him down. The fact is that at this point he has been in and out of QT and had to have nearly constant water changes (which has started to upset him) and I don't really feel like it's fair to him to take him out of his nice big tank (again) and put him through all the meds and stuff because he's clearly immune to the effects of AQ salt. It's been really stressful and both me and him for the past month, and now that he's in his new tank he's been happily swimming around while his fins slowly dissolve. He actually built me a bubble nest today and has a great time chasing his little shrimpy friends. I think he's had an immune deficiency or lack of an immune system since day one and keeping him in an absolutely sterile environment is stressful for all parties involved.

Again, I'm only considering this because one, I don't feel like it's fair to him to take him out of an environment that he is clearly happy in, and two because I don't want to watch him slowly die as his fins disappear.

So that's the long and short of it, I know it's a novel, but please read the whole thing before posting. Thank you.

How old is your fish (approximately)? Roughly 5 months, I think he was 3 when I got him as he is still quite small
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #6 
paloverde

I will add to the above posters thoughtful replies, that pet store bettas are a mass produced commodity, they under stress from the time they are hatched, packaged & shipped, prior stress is a a big factor why so many of them fail even under the best of care. Treatments, while sometimes successful are more often not. Sometimes we need to do the ultimate and oh so sad finial act of kindness.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote