Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #1 
5150wicd4fish

Will my plants make it with sand substrate?

I have two tanks with sand substrate since January, the plants are standard beginner type. I would like suggestions on how I can keep these plants to thrive with existing substrate.
Also anyone have a full planted tank? Do betta sp. really like that? I only use liquid fert for these plants, but am concerned that they may wilt and I may not be able to try any additions..
thanks guys...plus anybody try a higher LED lighting, does it effect your betta in a negative way? Other than try to keep plants alive, I don't want to
stress him "Gilligan" out any further.
I know he looks a little lonely, he has a albino BNP with him, they get along fine. I've read threads about tank size etc..so I hope someone doesn't tell me to get a smaller tank..
anyway look forward to comments..
Attached Images

5150wicd4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #2 
Tikibirds

I'm no expert but maybe some root tabs will help?? I only have sand and I have noticed the plants perked up once I added root tabs near them.

Get a smaller tank? Most people are told to get larger ones. I don't know what types of plants those are. Are they gonna grow much taller? If not, maybe fill in his tank with some taller ones? However I have noticed alot of the tall ones will get too tall for a 10G tank. I spent most of the day looking for plants for my 20G

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-06-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

I hav a super bright 23w cfl over my betta's 2.5 gallon. he's used to it

the crypts will appreciate a root tab :). do you have any MTS to work the sand?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #4 
5150wicd4fish

HI guys thanks for reply..um I have tried fert tabs before in a 36 gallon, didn't like how it turned my water, but will maybe consider again on this tank or my 60 gallon as I have similar plantings.
About MLS is that Milaysian snails? I have a albino, he does stir it up a little mostly at night.
So I guess that it is "okay" to crowd this tank with taller plants? I was looking at web site for aquaria plants very beautiful choices! Didn't want to spend $ on chance that my substrate would not help them....but I LOVE plants! Haha, dilemma here...LOL
Old 11-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #5 
starrlamia

susbtrate only matters for root feeders, they will definately benefit from root tabs but other than that should be fairly happy. Plant your tank how you want! I personally like crowded tanks that look like jungles. If you do add more plants you will need to start adding fertilizers.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #6 
5150wicd4fish

Thanks for the reply :D I think I will try more plants, do you have or use a fertilizer (tab) that works well for you?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #7 
DiiQue

And how about some floating plants... they would help fill out that space nicely and provide some hiding places at the top of the tank for your little guy.. i love your setup and the space though!
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #8 
starrlamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150wicd4fish View Post
Thanks for the reply :D I think I will try more plants, do you have or use a fertilizer (tab) that works well for you?
i use flourish comprehensive for micro ferts, and dry ferts for macros, macros you will want potassium, phosphorus and nitrogen, all of which you can get in the seachem line but it is more economical to do dry ferts, if you google estimative index or EI you can find lots of info that is really helpful as a starting point.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

I can't find Seachem flourish without spending a fortune on shipping so I have API leafzone, liquid Co2 and Root tabs. I poke the sand myself with one of those report cover binders as I dont want a million malaysian snails.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #10 
5150wicd4fish

Today I ordered C02 fert, and flourish excel...and some easy plants..idk what a c02 retractor is??? sounds complicated, but probably isn't..just going to wait and see what happens..;)