Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #1 
AdmiralAckbar

Bubble nest?

Why do Bettas build Bubble nests? I have a crowntail betta, he's ALWAYS building a bubble nest. And I have a halfmoon betta who currently just started building a bubble nest. Im curious as to why they really build bubble nests? Mating? Being content?
AdmiralAckbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #2 
freeflow246

Their practical purpose is for storing the eggs after they've been fertilized. We aren't 100% sure why bettas blow nests in the absence of any females. It might be out of boredom, or contentment, or as a way to mark territory. Most do it when they're in good water conditions and well fed. Some still do it when they're sick. None of my recent fish have been avid bubble blowers, although Sushi will sometimes do it when he's left alone for long periods.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 AM   #3 
Kytkattin

It is for breeding. Males put the female's eggs into the nest and tend to them for a while. Find out more in the breeding section!

While some people think that bettas build them because they are happy or content, it is simply a natural behavior made by healthy fish. My current rescue used to make a ton of nests in his .5 gallon tank that only had water changed once a month. Now he is older and in 2 gallons and doesn't make them as much despite much better conditions and overall seeming to be happier.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:58 AM   #4 
AdmiralAckbar

This is my crowntail's Ackbar's current bubble nest.

:)
Attached Images

AdmiralAckbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 AM   #5 
Aurie

I wouldn't know, I've never seen one. I've had 5 bettas in my life, none ever made bubble nests. *shrug*
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #6 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurie View Post
I wouldn't know, I've never seen one. I've had 5 bettas in my life, none ever made bubble nests. *shrug*
some betta's dont do bubble nests, but it doesn't mean they are unhappy :)
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #7 
Eggbert

Bubble nest just show your bettas is mature enought to mate. I've read the betta just makes lines of bubbles along the tank walls to mark its territory. Idk if its true but the continuing of making nest imo is its natural instict to always want to reproduce, so basically just in case a female comes along he's ready?? Idk if anyone agrees with that theory or can disprove it.
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote