Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #1 
WDW Donna

Cloudy water no fish yet.

Asking questions on behalf of my daughter's boyfriend. He set up the 5gal tank and put in the water conditioner. There is no fish in it yet, he is cycling it right now. I guess the water went cloudy. I thought it might be the gravel, he might not have rinsed it enough. He has gravel, and a couple of fake plants, filter and heater. He lives in a college dorm so I don't know if it is hard or soft water.
WDW Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Might be a bacterial bloom, it'll go away on it's own. The worst thing he can do is a water change, don't change it if there's no fish.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #3 
shellieca

Is he adding ammonia? Without ammonia the tank isn't cycling. Is he testing his water with a liquid water test kit? He'll need to a water change if his Ph goes down into the 6's or his cycle will stall. he won't know his tank is cycled if he's not testing the water. Bacterial blooms are not uncommon in a cycling tank or if he added a bacteria booster.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #4 
SinX7

I had the same problem and it went away a few days later. It was the BB Blooming. But yours might be different.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 
WDW Donna

I believe he has changed half of the water. ( he did it before I could get back to him). He has not done any testing yet. I will lend him my kit when he comes home for the weekend. What would be his best course of action now. I believe they were going out to get fish this weekend.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #6 
shellieca

If he hasn't been adding ammonia the tank isn't cycled & if he's going to add fish he'll be doing a fish IN cycle which will require him to be much more diligent on water changes & testing. I hope he's not adding a lot of fish because that'll really make the ammonia spike & cause his fish problems if not death. If he added a bacteria booster that could've made the water cloudy & it'll clear up,with time.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #7 
WDW Donna

Would the easiest thing for him to do be empty the tank and start over? I could give him one of my filters from an established tank to use in his to cycle then he would have to wait one more week to get fish.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #8 
shellieca

Seeded filter material would help boost the cycle but it still needs an ammonia source or the BB will die within a couple of days. The cloudy water typically isn't harmful & will go away there's no reason to break it down & start over, IMO.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #9 
WDW Donna

What is a good ammonia source?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #10 
shellieca

Pure ammonia is the best to use because you can dose it correctly, some people use a raw shrimp, others use fish food (which is the most difficult). There are stickies on this forum regarding cycling a tank or you can Google nitrogen cycle, then ask questions if need be.