Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #1 
sunstar93

Smile New Betta Boy!

I swore I wouldn't get another one. But don't we all tell ourselves that?

I went to my LFS and was just looking around (I didn't even have any money on me, just time to kill) and I went by the fish section. Surrounded by all the beautiful bettas was a lonely little boy. I picked him up and took a closer look; he was skinny and discolored, with a curl in his dorsal fin. I couldn't help it. I asked the manager if he would allow a discount on this fish (I planned on going back tomorrow). And he looked at him and said "Take him". I couldn't believe it!! At first I thought he was a veiltail, but then I read the label on his cup. He is a Halfmoon Double Tail!! I hope he grows big and beautiful!!

(I'm not really sure what to call him...I was thinking Lucky...feel free to suggest a name!)

His ventral fins are still kinda clamped in this picture:

And this is a closer shot of him:

sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #2 
aemaki09

Wow! You got pretty lucky getting a nice fish like that for free! Goodluck on him, Hope he turns out to be big & healthy!

As for not getting another one, I tell myself that all the time! I didnt plan on having anymore than 2 originally, A VT male and HM female that I rescued. But the betta bug got a hold of me, I now have 5 females (waiting to be put in a sorority tank) and 2 males, Also have another male I just bought on AB this weekend coming soon. I'm just happy I know that they are going to a good home vs someone that doesnt know anything about betta care!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #3 
sunstar93

I couldn't believe my luck! (Hence why I am thinking about calling him Lucky). He's pretty active right now and actually flared (as best he could) at the bloodworm I dropped in earlier lol.
I'm just glad he is not visibly sick or anything *fingers crossed*.

I didn't plan on having any fish besides my first one, my VT named Leo. Then it was 2 albino cory cats..then it was a 10 gallon tank...then it was 2 more albino cories... And now this one. (All my friends think I have a problem, but I say that it is love). Hope your AB male comes in alright- I'll bet he's gorgeous!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #4 
aemaki09

Great name idea! if he's that active it sounds like he should be healthy, probably just stressed from the conditions he was in at the store and this big change he just underwent! I'm sure he wasnt used to living in much better conditions than the cup he came in his entire life.

My problem started when my boyfriend won me 2 goldfish at the fair, I got a 10 gallon tank at first thinking they were small enough to not need more for a while, I was wrong, so I moved them into a 30, then the 30 looked empty so I got some Barbs, then Molly's and while I was looking at the molly's i found this sorry looking VT that I just had to rescue, and I thought my 10 gallon would look lonely with just 1 betta in it, so I got a female and a divider...since then my habit has spun out of control lol
Old 11-12-2012, 01:22 AM   #5 
sunstar93

Well he's not clamped up anymore and he's exploring his new home so I'm hoping he's healthy and happy now!! (still in shock that I got him for free lol). I did notice however that he looks like he has some burns on his face/gills. Not huge ones but enough to make him look like he is gasping for air. At least now I know how to treat it. Leo (who btw is the most problematic betta ever lol) suffered from burns similar to Lucky's...hope it won't be as bad though. The burns Leo suffered from actually took most of his fins with it and he looked like he had no tail for almost a month. (and now that his fins are growing in...he has become a tail biter). Sorry; had to share all the excitement haha!

That's how I feel! I moved Leo into a 10 gallon with the 4 cories and then (in my subconcious) was thinking how much I'd like to have a girl betta in his old 3 gallon tank. Lucky isn't a girl betta but at least now the tank isn't lonely anymore!

I feel like all I do is go out and get stuff for them...first it's a different kind of food, then it's silk plants (learned the hard way about how bad plastic was for their fins), then it's a new tank and a new heater, then it's a piece of driftwood (for the baby pleco I rescued, who unfortunately passed away last weekend *sad*). And the sad part is I don't even have any money to begin with haha...but I feel like it is worth it!!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #6 
aemaki09

Are they ammonia burns?

And I did the same thing when I started going crazy for them! Spent over half of my refund check getting supplies and stuff for them, luckily I've got everything they need now so unless I buy more fish (or this spawn I'm hoping will happen soon is HUGE) all I have to spend money on is food, and maybe some more live plants depending on how well the ones I purchased this weekend cover my tanks
Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #7 
sunstar93

I'm pretty sure they are, because they look very similar to the ones that Leo had. I learned that the best treatment is nice clean water and keeping the stress level low. At least Lucky's fins are not burned yet; they are still intact and full. (I had a few ghost shrimp in Leo's tank and went away for the weekend. Came back and the shrimp were decomposing and he had suffered from the huge ammonia spike they caused. It made me feel terrible.)

I tried live plants and for some reason forgot they needed light...college has definitely fried my brain lol. I've stuck to silk ones but I've seen tank that look so pretty with live plants in them!
What kind of spawn are you going to have?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #8 
sunstar93

Well this morning Lucky was trying to stalk and nibble on the silk plants in his tank. His fins are all unclamped now, except for the slight curl at the very tip of his dorsal fin. He is definitely doing better!(:
Old 11-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #9 
aemaki09

Good! Glad he's adjusted! And Ive got a CT pair in the tank right now, but my male I think is clueless on how to breed so I might have to wait a while, I just ordered a guy on AB, should be coming in this week, but will have to wait till he's settled in a bit
Old 11-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #10 
sunstar93

I think it's funny how sometimes the males are all "what am I supposed to do now?". Are you going to try to breed your AB male as well?

Also, Lucky is pretty small and the regular pellets are too big for him. Should I try feeding him some betta flakes or just try crushing up the pellets? The only thing that isn't too big for him to eat is a bloodworm but he can't live on those forever!