Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #1 
GFarra

How to clean filter housings after extended power outage?

Hi Everyone

I just recovered from a 10 day power outage following hurricane sandy. I managed to save my 2 betta fish but ended up losing the filter media on 2 tanks. Filters stopped running and the media dried out....so my BB is dead.

I also had some mold grow in the filter housings on the media itself. How can I properly clean/sterilize the housings so I can start over? The filters are 1) Marina Slim10 and 2) Deep Blue Porfessional Nano (similar to Red Sea Nano)

Should I soak the housings in hot water w/ distilled vinegar?

TIA

George
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #2 
Wendyjo

You can use bleach mixed with water - bleach will kill mold. When it's done soaking, rinse it well a few times and then fill it back up with water and add a big fat dose of dechlor to it to neutralize any bleach residue. You can also clean the media this way. I have always clean my tanks, decor and equipment this way with no problems.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #3 
PaulO

You could try to clean the media this way but the fact that the bb is dead and that there is mold growing makes me think it would be safer to buy new media if possible, and try and rinse the filter intake under warm/hot water. I did this when I set up a new tank and had decided to use an old filter I just got new media, took the filter apart (housing, intake tube, and nozzle) and rinsed those parts. After that I just ran the filter in an empty tank with some conditioned water to rinse out the tap water, and started up a new cycle with some media from another tank. Anyway I hope this helped a little and I wish you the best of luck.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

I would trash the old media and start fresh. You can use a mild bleach solution just be absolutly sure you rinse all the bleach out of the filter before using it again. I'm not sure if the vinigar will kill the mold or not, that's why I said go with the bleach.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #5 
GFarra

Thanks everyone. I've already tossed the media. I buy new. I'll dissassembly the filters and clean them out with a water/bleach solution....then rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse again with prime and let everything dry out

Appreciatte it!

Thanks

George
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote