Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #1 
horsyqueen

How do i start breeding Betta fish?

I really want to start breeding them and i have loads of spare tanks just incase, one in which me and my dad are going to set up around Thursday ready for when we get female siamese fighting fish next week.
A few questions with breeding,
How do i feed the fry?
How do i get the female to go in season? The shop assistant at Maidenhead Aquatics said when the horrisontal lines on the fish go vertical but my little female, Ki has never had them and she is over 4 months old.
horsyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #2 
Fabian

I suggest you read the stickies first,they provide "first lessons".
Females will only have their horizontal stripes when stressed.
Vertical stripes are shown when an adult female is shown to a healthy adult male.The vertical stripes means she is in a breeding mode.
You need to condition the female and male with live foods such as bloodworms,tubifex and daphnia.
For the fry,you need to hatch brine shrimp eggs by yourself.You can easily get them at your fish store or on the internet.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

1. Read the stickies (or links in them) on breeding and fry raising.
2. Basically healthy adults will often want to breed. The males often show this by building bubble nests while the female shows vertical bars. And both swim in an "S" fashion all over the tank.
3. There are lots of fry food cultures available in the internet - microworms, bananaworms, vinegar eel, etc. You can also buy brine shrimp eggs and hatch them. If nothing is available to you, you can try hard boiled egg yolk for their first few days.

While you prepare everything, read as much as you can find and ask as many questions as you can think of. Btw, how many adults do you have - how many males/females.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #4 
horsyqueen

Thanks I will, today I found some bubbles in the tank which the male hangs around alot so hopefully he's in breeding condition. :)
horsyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #5 
Fabian

Some males build bubblenest when happy too.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Also ask some breeders on here directly. Every person has their own methods and its up to you to find what works for you and your fish. Also do research in your area - the potential buyer/owner aught to have a say!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #7 
kfryman

Make sure you please research, there is a lot more to it then making babies and you make money. I don't want to discourage you, but before you breed make sure you have good homes they can go to, not the petstore. You will also most likely be losing money the first times at least.

If you breed petstore fish, remember, they will most likely have some problems and you may have to kill some of the babies, take great care when choosing the correct parents.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Can yu keep them 80F and the air above the fry humid?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote