Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #1 
Rachelbug

Cycling?

I just got a new 5g aquarium in the mail and have never set up my own tank before and would love some in-put. I would also like to know how to do a fishless cycle and I read all the stickies on it but i would love to have a step-by-step list if any one is willing because I do better with steps.
Rachelbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #2 
Shrimpsta

Drop a pellet into the tank and let the filter run. Then just let the bacteria handle everything else for you. They would first break down ammonia and make nitrate. Then the nitrate turn into nitrate another colony of bacteria would eliminate that. Usually it becomes cloudy that is when the bacteria is at war for balance in the tank. I say give a week or two than you can add a fish. For me, I let the sun shine into my tank until I see a little bit of algae growing, but that may take a little longer. Its a great sign when you see algae =].
Shrimpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #3 
MissLyss1024

You can also do a fish in cycle which is what I did with my 10gal divided and 5 gal. You don't need to do anything special but keep an eye on the water parameters and do more frequent water changes, it'll cycle on it's own eventually.
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

For a fish less cycle:
1. Set up tank
2. Get an ammonia source preferably pure ammonia, 2nd choice raw shrimp put in a mesh bag for easy clean up
3. Test water daily with a liquid water test kit
4. Redose ammonia when it gets down to 1
5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 until the ammonia is processed out within 24 hrs for several days in a row
6. Keep an eye on your Ph, if its get into the low-mid 6's do a water change because a low Ph can stall your cycle
7. When your ammo & nitrites are 0 & nitrates <20 for multiple days you're cycled
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #5 
Kevron56

I did a fishless cycle with janitorial strength ammonia. There are various ways to simulate the waste produced by the fish to do a fishless cycle. I suppose the first step would b deciding what method u would like to do it. OldFishLady has a wonderful step by step guide for a fish in cycle. Here is the link...

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

Hallyx has a thread where people have posted their cycling logs so others may learn from mistakes as well as triumphs. Here is the link...

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=104242&page=5

If u decide to fishless cycle your tank using pure ammonia as a source I will be happy answer any questions u may have! I have not tried with any other method (e.g. Raw shrimp, fish food, etc.)

Good luck

Last edited by Kevron56; 11-19-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Kevron56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #6 
Wendyjo

I always recommend a fishless cycle - I see no reason to subject our pets to the effects of harmful ammonia and nitrite.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #7 
Kevron56

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
I always recommend a fishless cycle - I see no reason to subject our pets to the effects of harmful ammonia and nitrite.
I agree!
Kevron56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, new tank 5 gallon, setting up a tank