Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #11 
Viva

I believe there is a 7.5W flat heater on Petco and Petsmart.com
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #12 
Matilda

Just FYI, the little flat heaters are what they call "constant on" heaters. You may need to regulate it with a timer so as to avoid the water getting too hot.
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #13 
Butterfly

get a bigger tank, fill that, put the heater in, get some chicken wire and make a 'nest' for her special tank just so that the tank touches/'sits' in the heated water. Here, I'll draw you a picture since I fail at explaining xD

This is pretty horrible...I hope you can understand what I'm trying to convey xD
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #14 
paloverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
get a bigger tank, fill that, put the heater in, get some chicken wire and make a 'nest' for her special tank just so that the tank touches/'sits' in the heated water. Here, I'll draw you a picture since I fail at explaining xD

This is pretty horrible...I hope you can understand what I'm trying to convey xD
That looks like a sling, what a great idea!
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #15 
ClassicCharm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post

Before I got her this little container, she was in a cup suspended in a larger tank. Definitely thought of doing something like this for her long-term home. The prob is that she needs to have a solid surface/ some substrate to get leverage off of. Right now she has big glass stones for substrate and she likes it because she can find crevasses to sit in so she doesn't fall over, and she sort of pushes off them to get moving. So, it would have to be something larger with a more solid bottom/sides. I suppose I could do a box out of plastic craft mesh? She would get frustrated in something like a sling because she does like to move around quite a bit.
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #16 
Polishdiva1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCharm View Post
Before I got her this little container, she was in a cup suspended in a larger tank. Definitely thought of doing something like this for her long-term home. The prob is that she needs to have a solid surface/ some substrate to get leverage off of. Right now she has big glass stones for substrate and she likes it because she can find crevasses to sit in so she doesn't fall over, and she sort of pushes off them to get moving. So, it would have to be something larger with a more solid bottom/sides. I suppose I could do a box out of plastic craft mesh? She would get frustrated in something like a sling because she does like to move around quite a bit.
I think she meant that you put the container you already have onto the sling, not the fish inside of the sling
Polishdiva1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #17 
ClassicCharm

Oh wow. You're absolutely right hahaha. And that is a really good idea!!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #18 
ClassicCharm

Okay, so I'm trying out the 7.5W flat heater (obviously with Scarlet in a diff container). Looks like the temp is holding steady at about 88 degrees. So, too high.

I'm thinking of trying something else now:

With the flat heater on the bottom, I'm going to fill the container up 2/3 full with substrate, put a piece of plastic mesh over top cut to fit the size of the container, another thin layer of substrate, and then fill it with water so it's got an inch of space over top. That way, there will be way more water in the tank to balance out the temperature, and the mesh will create a floor for the amount of space fishie will have to swim.

What do we think?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #19 
Silverfang

This was Champagne. He couldn't swim properly.
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr218/Elis77/049.jpg

I used a plain 10W non adjustable heater. You can get a 25W adjustable one, as long as it is fully submersible. I suggest hydor theo! Place it on it's side.

This is a shot of his heater in a 1.5G rubbermaid container. Filled two thirds full.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote