Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #1 
Eggbert

Question what did i find in my tank??

I was looking in apollo's tank and noticed this whitish gooey looking sack of some sort attached to the underneath of a leaf from my bamboo plant. Its not snail eggs. I tapped the leaf acouple times then in fell and immediately 3 of my ghosts fought over it and devored it. Anybody have any clue what it was? It also had brownish parts to it.
If it helps any I have an oto and an adf.
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #2 
deso

Sounds like some sort of algae. Kind of gross, but nothing to worry about, especially if your fish already disposed of it.

How big was this sack of goo?
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #3 
Eggbert

Maybe .25" my ghost easily swam around the tank holding it as the others chased him. I have a bad quality pic I took before it fell. Give me a min and ill post.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #4 
Eggbert

http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=30471
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #5 
deso

That's pretty blurry, so I'm not entirely sure, but I really do still think that it's algae, or even some sort of mould from the bamboo. But - are the leaves of your bamboo completely submerged or are some above the surface in your tank? As far as I know, you're not supposed to completely submerge bamboo in water, or else it will begin to rot and eventually die. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong about that.

If some of the leaves are above the surface, as they should be, maybe a spider or some other creepy crawly placed its egg sack on that leaf and it fell into the tank after you tapped it :/
Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #6 
Eggbert

Yes. About 6 leaves above water. That particular leaf with the "algae" was under water. (Is it okay some leaves are submerged)
Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #7 
Eggbert

Your boy in your avatar looks like he has the letter f underlined in red. Or a 41. So unique!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #8 
deso

I think it should be alright, but let's wait for someone with more experience concerning bamboo, because I've never personally owned that plant. Since it was an underwater leaf, the only other thing it could have been (if it's not algae or mould) is a mosquito egg sack, but I didn't think they looked like the strange whitish blob in your photo.

And now I see it! Modi does look like he has an "f" or a 41 with his red splotches! I never noticed that Thanks for the compliment, too.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #9 
deso

Ok, sorry for the near double post, but I just did a bit of reading on African Dwarf Frogs and the sac/blob/goo could have been a non-viable egg covered in fungus if you have a female. Seriously. Did it look anything like this photo?

http://www.flippersandfins.net/Images/ADF/eggs007.JPG
Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #10 
Eggbert

You're welcome! =)
Considering how quickly my shrimp ate it I'm not too worried, definitely curious though.