Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #111 
ao
TFK Moderator

when ghost shrimps(or any shrimps) try to escape the tank, you can be sure that your water parameters are out of whack. a shrimp is very sensitive to any ammonia nitrites and nitrates. ammonia will build up very fast in a small container. even if it's just a tiny bit, it can kill a shrimp.

you should quaratine in a proper sized container (1 gal +), especially for shrimps it is preferrable that your quarantine container has a filter and is cycled, or it could be heavily planted....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #112 
Fae

Yes, that is what I thought might have happened. I do have a 1/2 gallon quarantine tank (unfortunately I had left it at work, and that's why they weren't in it) with a plant but no filter, but maybe it would be better to just introduce them to my regular tank (filter, heated, and planted) when I can be there than quarantining them?
Fae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #113 
SinX7

Might be a dumb question, but what should I feed my Ghost shrimp? I have 2 left. Came home today and one of them died, and the body was all white. The other two are fine.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #114 
FishyFishy89

Blanch veggies. Mostly lettuce.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #115 
Silverfang

Ghosts will eat anything. Betta pellets, flakes, veggies, bloodworms, brine shrimp and pretty much anything. Algae wafers can be offered
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #116 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinX7 View Post
Might be a dumb question, but what should I feed my Ghost shrimp? I have 2 left. Came home today and one of them died, and the body was all white. The other two are fine.
white dead shrimp could be a sign of a few things.... ammonia poisoning....bad moult etcetc. get your water tested including PH and harness if possible, if there is nothing wrong with the water, keep in mind ghost shrimps are heavily abused during shipping, and many have underlying problems due to the abuse. Even if they make the shipping they are weakened and may easily die....
Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #117 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
ewwwwww whayd you show me a pic fer? D<

yeah lol, thats an infected shrimp... id quarantine the shrimp in a barebottom tank then removed the worm when it comes out. or remove the shrimp and the worm if shrimpy dies.

first time i saw an infected shrimp was at petco. i was soooo grossed out
I don't want to cick, but my curiosity wants to click, I am resisting clicking.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #118 
SinX7

What would you guys recommend me that I can get for those Ghost shrimps.

I'll be testing the water tomorrow, and let you guys know.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #119 
sunstar93

I remember I had a few ghost shrimp in Leo's old tank with him, back when I first got him. He didn't even seem to notice them, he even allowed one to crawl on his back! But I came home from class a couple days later and they were all dead...I think it was ammonia levels....I am afraid to keep them now because I don't want that to happen again!
We found one in our old tank, a 30 gallon, that hadn't been cleaned in like 2 years (no fish..just algae. We honestly just overlooked it). We found 2 ghost shrimp that we're each 3 inches long! Huge! But we had no where to put them as we were getting rid of the tank so our turtle had a very nice snack that night....
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #120 
ao
TFK Moderator

yeah my introduction to this article was.... forget it if you have an uncycled tank and are doing 100%WCs... lol

in unfiltered, non planted tanks, the method is to allow ammonia to build up to and dumping it before it got to a not so toxic level... but really there is ammonia in the tank.... in minimal amounts... until the next water change.
what the betta cannot feel will easily kill a shrimp.