Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #161 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I know they have a low Bioload but they are not the hardiest. Plus you have to worry about feeding them. Plus some Bettas might eat them.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #162 
BettaHeart

what is a tiger shrimp and are they good for a 5gal?
How do you tell a male from a female shrimp ?
And how many algae eaters in a 5gal with 1 betta?
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #163 
Silverfang

Tiger shrimp. A great bit of information on them here. Actually this site has LOADS of shrimp information. http://www.planetinverts.com/Tiger%20Shrimp.html
Tiger shrimp are a different species than red cherries, but very similar. They are more expensive than RCS so I would be hesitant at providing a very expensive snack for your betta.

As for sexing. For cherries (neocardinia, cardinia, and ghosts, it is very easy).
Females are larger and brighter, and have a curved under belly. (Opposite of most of the rest of the animal kingdoms!). Also females have an obvious saddle, this is eggs ready to be fertilized. Either yellow of green, it's on their back. For real obvious indicators, a belly full of eggs is the ultimate give away.

This is my own tank. The two dark red shrimp are females, the lighter, paler one is a male. And the smaller squiggles are frenzied feeding young shrimp.

For clearer pictures, read this page. It also includes clear shots of babies, how to sex, the saddle, and even the male "appendage". Plus shots of them in the act. http://www.planetinverts.com/shrimp_reproduction.html

As for how many, well that all depends on the species, are there live plants, water paramaters, etc. And hiding spots. You could start with a trio of RCS, two female, one male. This is the ideal way to start. You might end up with a few babies out of it. IF there are any left overs they will scavange. IF there is any driftwood they will clean it, if there is any leaf litter they will munch it.
2 amano would also be a good place to start.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #164 
BettaHeart

you are awesome!! Thank you so much for the info.
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #165 
carbonxxkidd

So, I added my shrimp a bit prematurely, before I did a lot of research on them. My tank is in it's final stages of cycling (I think, nitrites just started showing up a couple days ago), and my ghosties are suddenly not happy. Hanging out at the top of the tank and not really moving around much.

I tested my water and did a water change today, so my nitrite and ammonia levels are both below 0.25 ppm. No change in the shrimp behavior, but my bettas are just fine. What do I do? Should I just wait for the shrimp to die off? Another water change? Please help :(
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #166 
Silverfang

They may not bounce back, I'm not sure. I suggest another WC and lower the ammonia. I know I had ghosties who would scuttle up to the surface, but they never seemed able to stay there.

It's entirely possible they may die off.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #167 
carbonxxkidd

I just checked, and my ammonia is low, my nitrites are gone, and my nitrates seem to be gone too?! I offered them food, and they ate, but they're not completely clear anymore. 2 out of 4 are hanging out at the top of my tank divider and one is right under the output of my filter. I kind of feel bad for them. I will do a small water change right now.

I really liked them, but to be completely honest if they die I won't be too upset. My betta has gotten SO FAT with them being in the tank, it's just really hard to feed them without him eating their food (even at night).
Old 12-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #168 
ao
TFK Moderator

you can feed te shrimps after lights off. I powder one or two small pellets and spread it around, they'll find it.
any traces of ammonia and nitrites spell a certain death for shrimps... I cant say your ghosties will live much longer :/
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #169 
carbonxxkidd

Well, after a water change they are moving around and feeding.

I will agree, that crushing up an algae wafer or pellets is the best bet, but my betta always finds some!
There is really only one of the 4 that is cloudy, and she has been that way for a couple weeks now, but otherwise seems fine. I guess I'll just keep doing a small water change when they start acting weird and see how it goes. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #170 
FishyFishy89

Try out some blanched shrimp. My betta ignores it. But a select few are piggy enough to eat it. It sure doesn't hurt to give it a try.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote