Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #1 
asukabetta

I think my betta food is no good...

Yes, funny thing really, you know I was bored while doing my homework, and on my procastrinating sprees, I read the ingredients of my betta's food and realized... There is a lot of veggie ingredients and not much protein!! I know betta's thrive on protein rich food. I alternate flakes, grams and dried worms, but they mainly eat Sera bettagran because that is what the store recommended me to give them.

Here are the ingredients, please tell me what you think. I will try to save up for some good pellets to buy online, I hear Omega is great for bettas. Any food recommendations would be great.

Some of the ingredients may sound funny, I was translating them from spanish as best as I could.

Sera bettagran:

corn
gluten
powdered egg
fish powder
flour
fish oil
yeast
espirulina -> no idea in english
herbs
alfalfa -> no idea in english
Marine algae
gammarus -> no idea what this is (translating from spanish)
parsley
nettle
spinach
carrot
garlic
powdered musle
added vitamins and proteins (doesn't say what kind of vitamins.)

I am trying to get my betta eat flakes which have better ingredients it seems.

NUTRAFIN max:

- Mosquito larvae
- cereal
- Krill
- crustaceans
- yeasts
- Algae extract
- oil and fats

the other pellets they sell for bettas are these:

http://www.aquarium-munster.com/inde...122&con_lang=2

the ingredients are vague and unclear, but anyways if anyone knows if this is good, I'd prefer to buy food in person than internet.

DISCLAIMER: If you do recommend me foods for my betta, PLEASE RECOMMEND ME FOODS THAT I CAN BUY ONLINE THAT SHIP TO SPAIN.

Link to the online store (may it be amazon.es or ebay) is also very appreciated.

Thanks <3 sorry for the caps. I wish I lived in the u.s again sometimes lol XD

Last edited by asukabetta; 11-14-2012 at 04:06 PM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #2 
NorthernLights

foods

You want a bettas food that has some kind of fish protein as the first ingredient (preferably, the first several ingredients). The Sera pellets do not look very good, the NutraFin Max look a bit better.

Espirulina is probably the same as spirulina -- it's a plant extract, and alfalfa is a plant a bit like grass.

You are correct that Omega One Betta Buffet pellets are a good food. Another I've seen recommended on here is New Life Spectrum.

It's not just a matter of pure protein content -- protein can be found in plants as well as animal products. The trouble is that Betta stomachs are not designed for digesting lots of plant matter -- in the wild they eat insects and other small creatures.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #3 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
You want a bettas food that has some kind of fish protein as the first ingredient (preferably, the first several ingredients). The Sera pellets do not look very good, the NutraFin Max look a bit better.

Espirulina is probably the same as spirulina -- it's a plant extract, and alfalfa is a plant a bit like grass.

You are correct that Omega One Betta Buffet pellets are a good food. Another I've seen recommended on here is New Life Spectrum.

It's not just a matter of pure protein content -- protein can be found in plants as well as animal products. The trouble is that Betta stomachs are not designed for digesting lots of plant matter -- in the wild they eat insects and other small creatures.
They do not sell omega in any site I could find Q_Q they don't have it in spanish amazon, Q_Q nuuu...
Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #4 
NorthernLights

Your best bet is probably going to be to go to a pet store in your area, look for the betta foods, and read the ingredients on the back.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #5 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
Your best bet is probably going to be to go to a pet store in your area, look for the betta foods, and read the ingredients on the back.
My initial post has the betta food they have, nowhere else in this city do they have betta stuff
Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #6 
SinX7

Just order it off Amazon, its cheaper and more selection. If you're not sure of the ingredient, just go to the manufacture website or where-ever and look it up.

I recommend Omega since that's what I'm feeding my Betta right now, he loves it! I also feed him FD Bloodworms every now and then. and I'll mix it sometimes lol.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #7 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinX7 View Post
Just order it off Amazon, its cheaper and more selection. If you're not sure of the ingredient, just go to the manufacture website or where-ever and look it up.

I recommend Omega since that's what I'm feeding my Betta right now, he loves it! I also feed him FD Bloodworms every now and then. and I'll mix it sometimes lol.
sad thing is there is NOTHING on amazon.es. >_< Most products from Amazon.com do not ship internationally. Q_Q!!! I'm jelly now XD
Old 11-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #8 
paloverde

Just a thought, I know you want to feed what looks to be a better food, but i think your betta is going to be just fine with food that you can get in Spain.Your fish is not showing any sign of malnutrition. All of this worry is so counter productive, be happy that you live in a beautiful country. oh and gammarus are shrimp.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:23 AM   #9 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloverde View Post
Just a thought, I know you want to feed what looks to be a better food, but i think your betta is going to be just fine with food that you can get in Spain.Your fish is not showing any sign of malnutrition. All of this worry is so counter productive, be happy that you live in a beautiful country. oh and gammarus are shrimp.
thanks XD well I am a worry wart, though blueberry has lost color and been paling for the past month, losing color, so I just thought perhaps it was due to lack of nutrients since I know it cannot be water or temp.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #10 
paloverde

As bettas start to age they loose some of the bright coloration.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote