Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #1 
Chevko

Tank fixing question

Okay. So. This isn't really betta-related but this was the best place I could put this.

Alrighty. So where my parents live there's super hard water. It's well water. I did just upgrade their ten year old filter with a horrid filter within that's nearly as old, and so now I'm focusing on their tank. The tank has a leak, to put it simply, on one side of it. The sealing on it is coming apart, off, dissolving, whatever. Water's getting out regardless. Now, it's not god-awful terrible (yet), so there isn't much worry, but I want to know how much longer it should go on before we can reseal it or how we should do the resealing. It's not gushing water, just seeping really. The fish seem relatively happy and healthy so far, if a bit stressed from the new filter, and mom is planning on upgrading at some point to a larger tank, but this one is still pretty usable, it's just the seeping on the one side.

Any tips?

And I do apologize if this is scatter-brained. Watching Supernatural and glancing at the tank at the same time, lol.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #2 
Ilikebutterflies

Well lucky for you re-sealing an aquarium is an easy task. When I do it I use my handy dandy glass cooktop cleaner. It's a .99 razorblade in a plastic handle and a $5 tube of aquarium silicone.

Anyway, you will have to have a nice dry aquarium so you do have to break the tank down. Scrape out the old silicone around the inside of the tank whereever the leak is-or you can opt to redo the whole thing. There is no need to remove the silicone between the glass sheets. You'll need to wipe the surface with alcohol. I usually uncover a bit of black or green slime so of course you gotta clean all that out. Once you get the spot all clean, wiped down with alcohol and dry you just apply the silicone to the area. The trick is to cut only a small hole at an angle and apply nice even pressure. Wet your finger and slide it along the silicone to smooth it out and press it down into the crack. Wait 24 hours and test it out. If you still have a leak then repeat the above until it doesn't leak. I think it took me 20 minutes to do my last 29g. Ta DAA!
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, seeping, tank resealing