Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #1 
LoveMyCay

1 FISH/Betta Ever- Not sure what is happening to fins, PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hi..I just joined about 10 mins & unfortunately I am already in the Emergency forum

I've had my Betta Fish for 4 weeks (1st fish ever). She was purchased from a small Pet Store in Ellicott City. She was initially moved into a bowl with room temperature water and gravel, however after doing some research, thought it would be best to move her into a bigger tank with heater and plant decor. I purchased 1.6 gallon tank with a Tetra heater which is suppose to keep tank at 78 degrees. Tank actually stayed between 74-76 degrees. This Monday, I decided I can do much better...purchased a new heater (Top Fin 25 Watt) and 5 gallon tank. On Monday, Caydence was very lively, swimming all around in her newly spaced tank (set temp to 78 degrees, gradually increased to 80 degrees this morning). Now today, Wednesday, she is not as active and lays at the bottom of the tank resting on rocks or under heater. She still swims around when the tank light is on, or when I come to the glass or when I feed her. I am a little concerned I may have done something wrong when I placed her in the new tank. I did noticed a change in her fin colors. Caydence appears to have a silver-ish line on her fins. I did not notice this 4 weeks ago, but I started to see the silver in her fins about 2 weeks ago. But I did not think much of it. Any help is sooo appreciated!!! Please let me know if I need to include more details...tried not to ramble.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes. Cut filter off today. I think it too strong for my betta...kinda pushes her around when she swims close
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari's Tropical, Betta Bio-Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 6 pellets, 6 days a wk. Do not feed on Sunday.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 100% once a week in 1.6 gallon. Only had for 4 wks, so THREE 100% water changes so far
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?Betta safe water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No. I will purchase the test tomorrow and update.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I believe the fins as described earlier
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not as active, lays at the bottom.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not to my knowledge
How old is your fish (approximately)? I was told she wasn't fully developed when she was purchased.

PICS: First 2 are from Monday, her first day in the 5 gallon tank. The rest of the pics I took this evening ( 2 days later). She is less energetic, has silver-ish ton to fins. She has not fully or possibly cannot expanded her fins as in the first pic. They seem quite stiff.
Attached Images

LoveMyCay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #2 
Gracie8890

Are you completely sure on the temp of the water? Do you have a trusty thermometer? Heaters do malfunction and her water could be too hot or cold. However if this isnt the case just wait untill someone more experienced in dealing with illnesses posts!
Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #3 
LoveMyCay

I have a $2 thermometer that you stick on the outside of tank.

Probably not the most reliable. Do you recommend a particular brand?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #4 
LoveMyCay

Better Pics of Fins

Just took these two pics a few mins ago. Closer images than posted originally.

Something definitely doesn't look right.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #5 
sainthogan

My experience with the thermometers that go on the outside of the tank are generally about 2-4 degrees lower than what is actually in the tank. I put one on the outside and one on the inside side by side and monitored the temperature for several weeks, and the one on the outside was always lower than the one on the outside. So, it is possible, that the temperature is too warm for her. Try lowering the thermostat a little maybe 1 or 2 degrees and see how she reacts - then get yourself a thermometer that goes on the inside.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #6 
LoveMyCay

Sainthogan

Thanks for the advice! I've adjusted the heater temperature & I cut the filter off (think it was too powerful). I will get a better thermostat tomorrow & figure out what to do with the filter. Caydence seemed to have difficulties swimming near the filter, so I am assuming the current was too strong. Between the temperature & filer, I can imagine why she stays at the bottom of the tank
Old 11-15-2012, 05:18 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

When the fins are like that - they are clamped. Its usually one of the 1st signs something is wrong although that does not mean she is sick but something isn't right somewhere.

Did you forget to add in the water conditioner and if the decor was new did you wash it off first? Something nasty may of gotten into the tank and is upsetting her

Try changing out some of the water and see if it makes and difference.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #8 
LoveMyCay

I am thinking the same thing. I used Tetra Betta Safe Water Conditioner before I placed her into the tank. She was perfectly fine before I moved her into this new 5 gallon tank on Monday. This morning she ate her food sooo slow, plus she appeared to have problems breathing. And, she is still at the bottom of the tank resting on rocks or inside the pineapple house.

When I purchased the 5g tank, I thoroughly rinsed the entire tank out with hot water. But I noticed it had some type of clear adhesive in the inside of the tank, around the corners (is that normal for large tanks?). I rinsed the decor, rocks and SpongeBob house, however I did forget to rinse the new heater.

OK, this is my plan... I am going to put her back into the 1.6 gallon with 50% water from the 5g. Set up & clean the old heater & filter. Add water conditioner & make sure the water temp is the same. Oh, should I add aquarium salt in the water?

BTW, if you have any advice for Caydence's transition back to the other tank, please let me know. Any responses are welcomed for this newbie trying to save her 1st fish

Thanks TikiBirds!!!

Last edited by LoveMyCay; 11-15-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #9 
sainthogan

What brand heater are you using? There have been some people here that have had trouble with a certain type of Tetra brand heater (I can't remember exactly which one) and the chemicals weren't rinsing off correctly with just water and it was killing their fish. They ended up having to rinse the heater in super hot water and vinegar.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #10 
LoveMyCay

Top Fin Submersible Aquarium Heater, 25 watt