Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #11 
LoveMyCay

Oh, the Top Fin heater is in the 5 gallon tank. And I had a Tetra Whisper Heater
in my 1.6 gallon tank.
LoveMyCay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #12 
madmonahan

Sense no one else has answered this I will! :) the stuff on the side is called aquarium silicone, its what holds the whole tank together!XD
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #13 
LoveMyCay

Thanks! Good to know
Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #14 
LoveMyCay

Avoid Light during Recovery???

Another question:

When I make the change to a smaller tank in order for her to regain strength, should she avoid exposure to light? I just read online when a Betta is in recovery, try to minimize light exposure.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #15 
BETTACHKALOVE

You don't need the light during the day time unless your room is very dark i think. And don't keep it 24/7 i would think it can also stress her out.
How is she doing now? If she still acting sick(lethargic and not eating)? . Is there any new symptoms on her body? How about that silver color in her fins that you wrote appeared to be new? Did the spot get bigger? You can do 100% water change while you transferring her.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #16 
LoveMyCay

I do keep my room pretty dark. While I am at work (7am-7pm), I open the blinds a bit and keep the aquarium light on. Unfortunately, this morning her condition was the same, with the same amount of silver on the fins (the pics aren't the best showing it). I have not removed her from the 5 gallon tank b/c I wasn't quite sure last night what to do, and of course, I do not want Caydence to get worst. After getting some feedback today, I plan to go to Petsmart and buy aquarium salt, water testing strips and a floating thermometer. I was thinking about a possible treat like Brine Shrimp (frozen) would also be good for her.

You are recommending 100% water change, instead of 50%? If so, how can I do this without shocking Caydence?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #17 
BETTACHKALOVE

Why do you think she is worse? Is she eating? More lethargic? What is the symptoms?
When you change her water make sure new water is the same temp as her water she is in. Take her out . Have her in the changing cup. Add a little bit of the new water to her changing cup. Let her sit in that water for about 4 min. Do that about 3 times. This way she will get used to the new temperature/chemistry.
Don't use the light because i am wondering if it might be velvet. It kind of external parasites. And velvet is photosynthetic. Another words it will get worse with light. So keep her in deem light untill we can figure out what is the problem
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #18 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

It could be the light is to bright for her or the temp of the water is not right for her, I would turn it down and try to keep it at 76 for awhile and see how she does. Someone I know had to do that with her girl, she didnt like the temp at 79 or 80 and was clamped until she turned it down and kept the tank at 76. Good luck she is so pretty !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #19 
LoveMyCay

@ Bettachkalove- I think she is sick b/c of my lack of knowledge when it came to changing the water. She has been moved 3 times in 4 weeks (bowl, 1.6g, 5g). I figured if I made an impulsive decision last night to remove her from the 5g & place in 1.6g, I could make the condition worst by shocking her. I do not know her symptoms now...still at work This morning, she ate, but very slowly. Still quite lethargic.. moving around a bit, but finding a spot at the bottom of the tank on rocks or hiding in her little aquarium house.

I will use the cup and gradually acclimate her to the new water. Thanks for the advice. I will have post updates when I get home tonight & make the changes.

@Perseusmom- Thanks for your feedback & compliment. I was just going to ask for a temperature recommendation. Come to think of it, I increased the temperature from 77 to 79 degrees, when I moved her from the 1.6 g to 5 g tank. When I put her in the 5 g, I made sure the temp was 77-78. But, before I went to bed I set the thermostat to 80. I thought with the weather dropping to 30 degrees at night, it would be better. AND, I also did not acclimate her to the water in the new tank (just learned about that today). I will get this together ASAP.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would say 100 percent and 50 percent.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote