betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #21 
LoveMyCay

100% today, correct? And 50% when?
LoveMyCay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #22 
ao
TFK Moderator

Correct me f I'm wrong, but theres been some bad expeiences with top fin heaters. take it out entirely and do a large water change...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #23 
LoveMyCay

REALLY!!? OH NO I keep wasting money.

What brand do you recommend? The other heater I had previously was a Tetra Submersible Heater from Walmart...both $15 bucks.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #24 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyCay View Post
REALLY!!? OH NO I keep wasting money.

What brand do you recommend? The other heater I had previously was a Tetra Submersible Heater from Walmart...both $15 bucks.
Well it might still be ok, but some people have been saying that they have leeched wierd stuff into the water.
take it outfor now and see if the fishie feels any better. it might or might not be the heater.

make sure that when you are doing the water change, to replace the tank with like temperature water, so you dont give the fishie a temperature shock.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #25 
LoveMyCay

Will do, thanks Aokashi.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #26 
BETTACHKALOVE

the reason i was thinking about velvet because of the silverfish line that he got recently. And since she is white i think it kind of difficult to spot. So i would not use light for now to make sure she don't have it. And keep eye on it make sure it not spreading

I am really don't think that she is lethargic because of the temp if she was fine in 78 i don't think that she got lethargic with 80 or even 82*. But it true that some bettas really don't like warmer temp and can get lethargic. I missed the point do you have a thermometer in her tank? Do you know what temperature she is in?

Also if you not home i would go to pet store and buy aquarium salt on your way home, in case you need to use it for her.
Since we don't know what is the problem i would do at least daily 50% for now. It will help in case it not just the temperature that is the problem .... i think more frequent water changes really can help a lot especially if the problem not the temperature.
I kept bettas in small containers for long time when i had to with daily water changes ....
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #27 
paloverde

So sorry that your fish is ill, all of the above posters have given you some excellent feedback, I am just going to add that if a fish is acting just fine, before the water change/and then after the water change they appear to be acting different it is no doubt 100% all about the replacement water or a new object that has been placed in the water. Diseases move quickly... but not that that suddenly...hope you can find out what has happened.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #28 
LoveMyCay

UPDATE..Good & Bad News

Good News:
When I arrived home from , Caydence is moving about and swimming at the top of the water..air bubbles too!!! (YAY)

In Between:
Thermostat sticker was off by two degress. I have Top Fin 25 watt heater set for 80 degrees. Sticker indicates 80, but floating thermostat indicates 78 degrees.

Bad News:
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Just Now
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:8
Hardness:150
Alkalinity: 300

With this being said...is to safe to move Caydence into another bowl (1.6g), fresh with water, aquarium salt, conditioner, heater (smaller-Tetra) & temp is at 78 without trying to acclimate her to this new environment? I really do not want to use her current water b/c of the water levels. PLEASE ADVISE...I want to take some action asap- THANKS GUYS
Old 11-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #29 
ao
TFK Moderator

i dont understand what the bad news is...? and was hardness in degrees or ppm?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #30 
LoveMyCay

PPM.

According to my water strip chart, the hardness, alkalinity & ph levels I've taken from the water are in the "harmful/danger" zone.