So, I posted this on my Tumblr page for the fish community to take a look at, but I don't think that many prowl the guppy tag (if I put betta on it I'm sure I would have gotten two responses by now, lol). The reason I'm posing it to you guys is that I'm impatient, I will admit this, and I don't know of any really reputable websites for guppies, fancy or no.
So, I might be starting out with guppies instead of a betta like I was hoping for. And itíll more than likely be mixed company since the person Iím getting them from has a guppy problem. They might be fancies, they might not, I canít remember at the moment.
So, I want to make sure...
- Is the differentiation between sexes determined by tail size? Males have larger tails than females, fancy or not?
- Would a 10gal be big enough for 4-6 of them? (Iím sure this will explode.) How about a 5? (Explained below.)
- How do I ensure safety from a guppy explosion?
- Would a divider work? It's the easiest thing that comes to mind.
- Would you recommend fine gravel or sand for guppies?
- And would it be safe to put in shrimp as ďwaste disposalĒ or would a mystery snail be safer?
- ---Or anything else that might eat fry but not adult fish to help also prevent explosions.
- Can fe/males coexist with the same gender without wanting to eat each other like bettas?
This time around Iím going to my parents for Thanksgiving and have every intention of taking my tank with me. It has a mesh lid, so Iím not positive what it was for originally, but I intend to find another lid that is more suitable with a light and space for a filter.
If the tank I have at my parents is too big for my desk, my boyfriend swears up and down it is, I'm thinking about going back to a tank I was looking at when I was betta shopping - one of PetCo's 5gals
. That one I was seriously all over. Would this one
work as an isolation tank? It's a 1gal. Or does anyone know of a cheaper alternative for an iso tank? I'm also considering a rather large cheesypuff drum I cleaned out last year and was using for plants, right now it's got some cactus potting soil in it so I need to clean it out. If any of you are familiar, it looks like this
. It's the largest of them that Utz sells. The sticker isn't on mine anymore so I can't tell how many ounces it is due to me doing a heavy cleaning on mine with hot water and potentially a bit of rubbing alcohol about two years ago for the cacti I put in it. I'm pretty positive that the rubbing alcohol was on the outside though, because I needed it for the sticker residue. I can easily get the measurements of the drum if anyone needs it.
(Sorry, got a bit off-topic there.) But I'll just leave this here now. And attempt to work on more patience ^_^;