Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #1 
JerryBerrie

Question First Timer!

This is my first time breeding any type of fish, and i have questions, but heres what i've done so far. A few hours ago, I put one girl in a container into the breeding tank. I added a boy, but after an hour, he seemed uninterested with her. I decided to switch boys, and when I did, this boy (King) scared the girl (Zelda) so badly I decided to put my other girl, Peach, into the tank. They both seem interested with each other, he flares and swims around her container like a shark. Shes not scared of him and she just swims around her container like normal. I have hiding spots for the girl for when I'm ready to release her, and i have a styrofoam cup floating in there. King still has not built a bubble nest, and its been 2 hours. Does anybody have any tips for me? And how long does it usually take for males to build his bubble nest?
JerryBerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #2 
Creat

First off did you condition them for about 2 weeks or more? It plays a big role in determining whether or not the male is ready to breed and willing to blow a nest. And I would suggest leaving him in there with the female in the cup and watch their behavior. Is the female barred? Is the male wiggle dancing or attacking? Is she swimming head down and following him? Also pics of the set up would be nice (to determine whether or not if she is released if they would be safe). The female can be released without a nest but it depends on their behavior.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #3 
JerryBerrie

I cant get a picture of it right now, but I have a fake plant in it and a big plant pot to hide in. I think i should add more, but thats all i have right now. And to condition them, how do you do that? Set them next to each other for the one or two weeks? I'm eager to learn, since I do want to breed these correctly.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #4 
Creat

Alright back up and remove them, go read the stickies on top of the section regarding conditioning. The basics include more water changes and feeding high quality foods this readies the betta for breeding and now I understand why your fish werent interested they werent ready yet ! Conditioning helps the male gain strength needed to care for the babies 24/7 for 3-4 days and helps the female produce eggs. And just leave the tank where it is helps the water age more also I would suggest getting some java moss or other low light low care plant for the tank. Grows yummies for the babies :) And as always be sure your ready for 100+ fry it can happen and does.

Last edited by Creat; 11-12-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

+1 to Creat, if you don't condition your fish one or both can die during breeding. It takes so much energy out of them and can last to a whole day. Without proper conditioning fish die of exhaustion and belly up. Also you need live plants for the hatchery tank, fake won't do, it just wont. You also need to start growing baby brine shrimp or vinegar eels to feed your babies as said above and you will need about 100+ jars for when you have to jar your fry once they get too old and start attacking each other. I'm afraid breeding isn't as easy as tossing two fish together. If not done correctly the male will kill the female or vice versa seeing them as a threat to their life and territory.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #6 
JerryBerrie

I'll get the live plants, I took Peach out a few hours ago. I'll start conditioning them tomorrow, and I'll go to the pet store and buy some brine shrimp eggs too. I go to goodwill and check on small jars for babies, so I'll do that some more too. I'm also about to buy some Indian Almond leaves to help them with breeding. Thank you guys for the help :)
Old 11-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #7 
Creat

No problem :) Also if you cant get your hands on ial oak leaves work just as well just be sure they werent sprayed with pesticides. Can you post maybe pics and give us some information on how the fish are kept? Depending on how the fish are being kept they might only need a week and a half or a week even if they are kept super healthy.