Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #1 
shellieca
Reference Team

Pine Coning Female

Yesterday evening I discovered one of my Females was pine coning, I moved her from the 46g to a 10g QT. This morning she is lethargic & msotly resting on the broad leaf silk plants. She exhibited no symptoms that I saw before the pine coning. I was not encouraged by my online research & from her behavior this morning I'm doubtful she'll make it through the day. These pics are from last night when I was acclimating her to the QT tank . . . her coloring is off because she was so stressed from the move.

Attached Images

shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #2 
Freyja
Banned

Could be dropsy. I had a platy who pineconed and even with treatment was gone after two days. Sorry about your girl.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #3 
NorthernLights

For a fish that is pine coning, I'm not sure if epsom salts will help (when they are this far gone). If you want to try to save her, send a PM to Sakura. She's very good with this type of situation, and she may have a better idea of whether your fish is truly beyond hope or not. I do know she can help with dropsy, even when it's pretty far gone.

*Crossing my fingers for your fishy*
NorthernLights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Thank you. From what I'm reading online there is little you can do to save them. Sometimes they survive just to have it come back months later but eventually they don't survive it. She's a little perkier this afternoon & ate a couple of pellets, she doesn't look any worse so that's a good thing.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #5 
paloverde

So sorry, epsom salt will help with the edema, but the actual bacterium that is suspected to cause it has no doubt done to much damage. Sometimes we need to do a final act of kindness.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote