Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #1 
Rachelbug

Question Questions...

So me and my friend bought a beta fish today and really want to keep him alive. We got a small one gallon tank with out a light or a heater. My dad is really into fish and so we probably have the stuff for me to set up a larger tank with both of these things. Is it worth it for me to figure this out and can the tank be too big? If so how should I start? And does anyone have any tips? He seems to be doing fine right now and is really active. Also how often should I change his water? And how often should I feed him?
Rachelbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #2 
Laki

Congrats on your fish! And welcome to the forum :)

a 1 gallon is fine for temporary living as long as it's cleaned twice a week and kept warm. There are small tank heaters (10w heaters) but if you have stuff already in your home, set up a larger tank with filter (baffle it to keep the waters surface still) and heater (79F is ideal). Remember to pack a larger tank with plenty of plants and decorations for hiding and resting.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #3 
Rachelbug

Question

My dad has a tank already set up but it has other fish in it. The biggest ones are fresh water angel fish. Would he do well in there?
Rachelbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, bigger is always better in terms of fish.. The tank can never be too big, but the tank doesn't have to be 80 gallons or something. I suggest a 5 gallon as minimum if you wanna upgrade, a 10 gallon would be better. Once you decide on your tank, I suggest cycling it. Read all the stickies on the process, and it'll take about a month. It's good he's active.. Since a 1 gallon is fairly small, I recommend a 100% and a 50% change per week. That should keep the ammonia low, and won't be as stressful. 2 feedings a day is sufficient. If they're pellets, 2-3 pellets 2 times a day is good. For flakes, 2 small ones 2 times per day is good as well. Make sure to get a good brand like New Life or Attison's.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #5 
paloverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelbug View Post
My dad has a tank already set up but it has other fish in it. The biggest ones are fresh water angel fish. Would he do well in there?
No, angels are not a good roommate for a betta!
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #6 
Friendlyfishies

I thought Angels would nip/bite/stalk and kill betta? I wouldnt put the betta in with the Angels, but you certainly can upgrade his tank at some point, I went from 2.5 gallons to 5 gallons and now 10 lol. 10 is my favorite so far :D

I got my 10 gal kit from walmart for $27 then upgraded my lights to 6500k bulbs for live plants so add $8 and $8 for each bulb to the tank cost plus what ever you chose for decor/plants (live plants are fun! but fake are just fine). Dont forget to pick up a heater. Have fun with your new betta! :)

Last edited by Friendlyfishies; 11-15-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help confused, new betta and setup