Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #11 
Dmsantana

Cant be overstocked we never had more then twoish fish in there at one time hell I had a one schooling fish in there. Im pretty sure the fish died because it was to cold. the water looks better now then it did yesterday I think the heater helped out. And I dont like snails and my mom always had pleco's in her fish tanks. We plan on getting a bigger fish tank in jan or feb. and yes he/she will grow but right now he is still very little. and I got the pleco from walmart. He is the only fish to have survived the milk( yes my son put milk in the tank) and the cold.

as of today mr.Fishy ( as my son calls him) is doing well and is swimming round and enjoying himself. I think he might actually be okay. The next water change I will for sure take everything out and clean it all. should I get a new filter or just rinse the one I got?
Dmsantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #12 
Wendyjo

The tank is overstocked with ONLY the pleco in it. Have you tested the water parameters in the tank?
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #13 
Freyja
Banned

Its not about the quantity of fish but the quantity of waste produced. Like Wendyjo said, plecos are very dirty fish and need at least 20-29 to start.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #14 
gemsbok

I don't see how the pleco makes the tank overstocked if it's still little. They don't grow that fast. Course, it depends on how little it is.

Last edited by gemsbok; 11-16-2012 at 12:05 PM.
gemsbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #15 
Wendyjo

As said a few times now - they produce MASSIVE amounts of waste. THAT is why a pleco of any size in a 5g is considered overstocking.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #16 
RaptorX8

Just to warn you, if it is a common pleco, those things can grow fast. My brother bought one for a ten gallon and it went from two inches to eight in just a couple of months. He was the biggest thing in the tank before I took him to a store to be re-homed. Never had a common pleco again.

And you should try and do a 100% water change and rinse everything really well as soon as you can. Even if the water looks clearer it has been contaiminated with milk and will eventually harm the fish.
RaptorX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Jan is way too long for a pleco to be there.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #18 
LadyVictorian

A five gallon tank is too small for any other fish to be in the tank with a betta. It's either shrimp, a snail, or nothing. You need at least a 10 gallon for two fish. And if I were you I would just return the pleco, you'll never have a suitable tank for it unless you buy a 50 gallon tank and it's unlikely you are willing to do that. Also till then double your tank cleanings on the five gallon because of the biomass being produced. That means you should be doing 2 50% water changes and 1 100% water change a week right now, also get a lot of live plants to keep up with the ammonia. If ammonia builds up no joke the fish will both die.

And Gem it has nothing to do with the size of the animal but the biowaste it produces and at what rate. Five gallons is too small for any fish, even a betta and a neon tetra. You just can't do it unless it's heavily heavily planted and cycled and you have proven with stable readings that you are always at 0 ammonia readings. Otherwise no, it's never safe to keep two fish in a 5 gallon, 10 is the minimum for two fish.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 11-17-2012 at 02:14 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think they should be doing 50 percent daily what kind of Pleco is it?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #20 
LadyVictorian

It's a common, just a young one. And yeah I agree actually with a common pleco daily water changes are necessary because they do have such a large bioload no matter the size. They are swimming poop factories, I remember from when we had mine. Also fyi common pleco's get large enough to eat betta as well. When we had mine in with a few goldfish he ended up sucking them all up. We kept him for about a year before he outgrew our tank and was given to a guy with 100 gallons of large fish he needed a grow adult common pleco to clean up after for. Out pleco grew to be a little over one foot.

That myth that keeping them in a small container keeps them small is also a total lie. It only stunts their body but their internal organs grow and eventually they rip open and die. So that all together is just cruel.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 11-17-2012 at 02:19 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote