ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #22 
LadyVictorian

I hope not, for the sake of their fish.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #23 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think they just wanted everyone to agree with them they only made 7 posts and all in this thread.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #24 
LadyVictorian

T.T I hate when people do that, just don't even get a fish if you are not willing to admit you made mistakes and want to fix them. That's not taking care of an animal ignoring your mistakes with "No this is the right way." then kill fish and keep replacing them because they are cheap and easy to find.

We have all made mistakes here but we are great fish keepers because we chose not to make those mistakes over and over again. We instead fix them and our fish live better lives for it. Even you and I have made them, your betta use to live in bowls as my original two did without heaters until I learned what they need to survive. Now both our fish live in nice heated tanks that get cleaned properly. We never cried about being wrong, we just improved so our fish's lives could improve. It annoys me when people do that with any animal because the only thing really suffering form the ignorance is the animal not the people and the people claim to care about them but clearly that's all bs or they would do better and try to improve on their care rather than let the animals just die or become dangerous or become complete social wrecks because of improper socialization. Saw it at my shelter all the time and made me just have a fiery dislike for humanity and our society.So much of our worlds issues revolving around animals would be solved if people researched the animal they wanted before they got it. I researched betta's for a year, I researched rats for a year, even mice and cats and how many problems have i had? 0 I never have issues with any of my pets because I knew how to care for them properly, had a proper environment set up, and even had my vets picked out before I ever put down money for the actual animals. Nothing my pets have done has surprised me or made me feel overburdened with responsibility because I knew it was there before I owned them. AND THE WORST PART OF IT IS....I'm suicidal as all hell, most days I can't roll out of bed because my will to live is so pathetically low, I don't shower for weeks, don't eat for months and yet every freaking day I clean cages, scrub tanks, feed my animals, and snuggle them. If I can do it a blubbering drooling moron with half a brain can. If I can force myself from the bed i want to sit and die in to provide for those things than anyone can do it so long as they put the effort into it. There really are NO excuse -end rant-
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #25 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I origionally had three cories thinking it was okay so then I accidently killed two other fish I was very sad and still am about the two fish that died but my cories are now in a group of 5. Carters bowl that was 1.5 gallon was unheated for a month I gave him a heater now he lives like a king. I think the OP would like Yahoo better than here.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #26 
Oldfishlady

Sadly, a lot of new members will leave when overly critical well meaning members tell them everything they did wrong-instead of helping them with the problem at hand....Lot of different ways to keep fish successfully and sometimes its best to help with the problem at hand first-then educate-soon the new member will get it.....Without being forced or belittled.....

I agree with the OP in that the deaths most likely happened due to the contamination from the milk and possibly due to too cool of water temps.

Best action would be to make a couple of 50% water change back to back today-Then 50% daily for 3-4 days-then on a 50% twice weekly thereafter and as needed. Give the filter media a good rinse or change it all together since this is a new setup.
Get an independent thermometer to monitor the water temp and try to maintain a somewhat stable water temp in the 76-78F range. And use the independent thermometer to check the water temp of the replacement water used for water changes and try to keep this within 5 degrees more or less.
And as always-if you are on city water supply-use a good dechlorinator with any water added to the tank.

Keep us posted..........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

But that tank is ovously severly overstocked. I am still convinced ammonia poisoning is the cause of death.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #28 
Dmsantana

I've not left the site. I've been reading and just decide to leave thi thread being as I already said we did NOT Have all those fish aat the SAME time. I did not read any of the posts after that so just get upset with me because of that i already feel bashed as it is. Once again I did NOT have all those fish at the SAME time the Betta and the PLeco where the nly two together and they would have been FINE for 2 months untill I got a bigger tank.

But to answer or to update I foundo ut what was wrong and it was my fault being a new fishtank owner and I feel like a failure. I was not using the right water treater and I feel like a fool the betta died four days after i got him i took the water to get tested and the PH was off the charts. The pleco was still alive through ll of this. The lady at the pet store informed me everything I needed to do. she saideverything else was fine with the water the amonia was great being as I just did a water change. anyways we got a PH correcter which did correct the PH but in return shocked the Pleco and saddly heart breakingly found him dieing yesterday morning. I had to quickly call my husband in to get him out as my son saw him and was clapping happly because he saw fishie.

through all of this i can say now I know what i did wrong and have gotten my facts straight. the water is treated much better. we did water changes with more treated water and have another betta since my son gets so upset at not seeing a fish in the tank. needless to say thank you to atleast oldfishlady I want to give you a hug.
Dmsantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:28 AM   #29 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Can not wait to see your 75 gallon maybe if you get 100 gallon you could get an Oscar too.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #30 
Kithy

We all make mistakes in the beginning unless we are fortunate enough to have someone standing over our shoulder.

What's important is that you're moving forward with good help and a bit wiser than before rather than doing the same thing over and over, insisting you weren't doing it wrong.

<3
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote