Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #1 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Angry Petco misleading employees D:

Wow. The people at Petco were REALLY misleading. This is what they told me to do:

1. Because I had bought a 1 gal filtered tank for my betta, they told me I never EVER have to clean it

2. They told me to feed him a tiny amount EVERY OTHER DAY!
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #2 
kingofthefishppl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy314 View Post
Wow. The people at Petco were REALLY misleading. This is what they told me to do:

1. Because I had bought a 1 gal filtered tank for my betta, they told me I never EVER have to clean it

2. They told me to feed him a tiny amount EVERY OTHER DAY!
Taking advice from most retail store employees is not a good idea.
kingofthefishppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #3 
Laki

Since you obviously know something is up with petco and did not listen to them, I commend you :)

Feeding them every other day is fine. Just make it a larger meal than "tiny". Or feed them a tiny meal twice each day.

The employee is mistaken about the filter. In a tank 5g+ as long as it is CYCLED it won't need to be fully cleaned. In a 1g I wouldn't use the filter at all and just do 2 weekly changes (one 50% change and one 100% change)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #4 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Since you obviously know something is up with petco and did not listen to them, I commend you :)

Feeding them every other day is fine. Just make it a larger meal than "tiny". Or feed them a tiny meal twice each day.

The employee is mistaken about the filter. In a tank 5g+ as long as it is CYCLED it won't need to be fully cleaned. In a 1g I wouldn't use the filter at all and just do 2 weekly changes (one 50% change and one 100% change)
Thanks for the advice, but define "tiny" in terms of AQUEON food pellets.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #5 
paloverde

I will also say that the employees do go through training, and are told to say things like that. They can get written up or more likely fired if they give out information that is not controlled by the parent corporation. Sorry, I don't know what size those pellets are.
paloverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #6 
SnowySurface

I've used a small filter in a 1 gallon set up before. But the filter got rid of the annoying protein layer that forms on the surface of still waters. That is more of an astetic problem than a tank hygiene problem. However, I did notice that I had less ammonia spikes when I used a filter, so a filter does make a 1 gallon set up a bit more "oopsie" proof when you add a filter. But it isn't vital. :)

Do you have a small heater? Unless the room you keep your fish in is at a steady 80 degrees or so, you'll need a heater to keep the tank's temp steady at around 78-82 degrees. I use the Hydor 7.5 Watt heater in my hospital tanks, but I'm not sure if Hydor still makes it. I know Zoomed still makes a 7.5 heater with a picture of a betta on it. With 1 gallon set ups, I found it much harder to heat constantly than to clean. Why won't any companies make adjustable 15W heaters? XD

As for "tiny amounts" of food, is the Aqueon pellet a standard 1mm pellet? If so, a tiny amout would be 3 pellets at a time. For my feeding schedule, I feed 3 1mm pellets twice a day. Unless you have a King or Giant betta. Then I think a "tiny" amount for them is double.

I hope this helps.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #7 
Laki

I have aqueon pellets ( among others, thy're a good pellet) I drop in probably 5 for Bowser and 7 for Lude. (Bowser bloats too easily). I feed once a day but it's better to feed twice. So if you feed twice a day, give him about 3 each time.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #8 
fishy314

Thanks! Next time I'll have earplugs so I don't have to listen to the junk that comes out of the employees' mouths. :)
Old 11-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #9 
Laki

heh, good idea.
I was told when I bought my moss ball that it would "clean" the water. I like asking questions in pet stores so I can correct the employee or have something to laugh at later. (Like the jumbles of java or christmas moss one lps gets they won't sell it or even give it away in clumps bc it "only survives in their tanks")
Old 11-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #10 
Fin Fancier

I'm not going to say he was right about the filter, but when you think of the general knowledge level of people who buy these "low maintenance, easy fish" you tell them a "little" and they'll dump some in, whatever looks good or falls out. At least if they only do it every other day the water won't get bad as quickly, or it will give the betta time to unbloat from the last over-sized meal.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, misleading, petco, tank cleaning