Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #1 
AidenBlack

Exclamation Severe fin rot? HELP! :'(

Delta fin milano betta has fin rot...no discoloration, no fungal build up, no swollen eyes or anything. His fins are deteriorating rapidly. the larger belly fin looks like it will fall off soon. treatment with pimafix and melafix failed. he is not lethargic, still active and still eats voraciously... advise?
AidenBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #2 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenBlack View Post
Delta fin milano betta has fin rot...no discoloration, no fungal build up, no swollen eyes or anything. His fins are deteriorating rapidly. the larger belly fin looks like it will fall off soon. treatment with pimafix and melafix failed. he is not lethargic, still active and still eats voraciously... advise?
Are his fins like melting together? Put him into a 1 or 2 gallon container with a teaspoon of AQ or epsom salt. Change water every 2 days. Try Indian Almond Leaf or a dried up oak leaf from outside (rinse it well and float it in tank). Keep temp at 80.

How often did you change his water before this happened? I'm pretty sure that's what happened to my fin melter, not enough water changes (my bad). He seems to be getting better after a few days with IAL in his water plus some AQ salt.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #3 
AidenBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Are his fins like melting together? Put him into a 1 or 2 gallon container with a teaspoon of AQ or epsom salt. Change water every 2 days. Try Indian Almond Leaf or a dried up oak leaf from outside (rinse it well and float it in tank). Keep temp at 80.

How often did you change his water before this happened? I'm pretty sure that's what happened to my fin melter, not enough water changes (my bad). He seems to be getting better after a few days with IAL in his water plus some AQ salt.

no...it looks like his fins are stretching off of his body...? he is in a 10 gallon so his water didnt need changed so often. had to remove all the plants and ghost shrimp to treat, blah. i just picked up some mardel maracyn oxy. hoping this stuff works better
AidenBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #4 
Leopardfire

My male betta has such severe fin rot that he lost almost half of his tail in a day. It was like it just melted away in the night. I put him in a 1.5 gallon QT tank with bottled water, 2 tsp of salt per gallon, and some stress coat and did 100% water changes daily. Within a few days I could already see clear regrowth.

I tried using the maracyns on him, but that didn't work. It could have been from poor water quality though. If you want to use meds, I would try Triple Sulfa since it hasn't been overused like maracyn has. I hope your betta gets better!
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #5 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenBlack View Post
he is in a 10 gallon so his water didnt need changed so often.
You still need to do a 50% water change each week. That could be the problem right there. Water changes and gravel siphoning are the best preventative medicine!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin deterioration, fin rot