TFK Moderator

Kuro VS the cichlid pellet

I gave it to him as a joke :)

video here - hear him crunch!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...0B28CE2C68.mp4
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

He's so adorable!! :3 Aren't you afraid if he'll choke..? And did he manage to eat it by now? I like how his scales are clear and a lil' blue iridescence. He's gorgeous. ^^ And I feel bad for the pellet. lol
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Kuro has to be one of, if not my favourite bettas on this forum. I am also envious of your frogbit. Tried to get some the other day but it is declared a noxious weed in some states now *sad*.

I don't think he would choke on a pellet if he was just eating it like that as it would go soggy after a while and break up. However, I had a betta choke to death on frozen brine shrimp (have no idea how he managed that) so it is something to be mindful of.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #4 
rubinthebetta

That video and the picture are so funny!
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

thanks XD

@ Lebron - he ate it in the end! you have to watch the vid so you can hear him munching on it :P

@LBF - I saw frogbits being sold in an aquarium shop in Syd. it was $6 for a few (ouch)

I didn't think Kuro would choke, after all he's the one that ate an entire full grown male cherry shrimp oO. I swear he'a part snake, maybe I'll try one of those pellets the size of his face next.

I think the cichlid pellet is mostly hollow anyway... so once he gets a hold of it to chomp on, it just breaks apart. It's kind of hilarious, since he's stillkind of on the small side :P
Old 11-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah they are still legal I think down here but not up in places like QLD and NT.

I used to have heaps and stupidly threw them out thinking they would be easy to replace. I got them free from the guy who owns the fish store I go to to.

Got any recent side-on photos of Kuro? It doesn't look like he actually has any red wash on him at all. Lucky duck!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

Everything is illegal in QLD XD

Kuro had red when I just got it.. then it kind of vanished. not sure whether it will come back in the future... I actually really liked it :(
He alternates between green blue and white depending on the lighting. weird fish.

oh and heres another pic from today when he decide to just be... straight oO

Last edited by ao; 11-15-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

He reminds me so much of my CT female Inky. She has the pale blue fins with darker blue (marbling?). Then there are the huge black eyes.

I am no betta geneticist but perhaps he has the red loss gene and that's why the red was there and as he has aged it has disappeared.

He is looking great in those photos from today. Can't believe how much he has grown from when you first started posting pictures of him.

I always have to laugh that all these species of fish are released in rivers etc. for fishing, but there are so many species of plants and fish that it would take a lottery win to have allowed in the country. I'm not even talking fish/plants that would likely be at all introduced into our waterways (price/scarcity), and even if they were they would not be predatory/prolific enough to then decimate the environment.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

I never see pics of your splendens :( maybe you have Kuro's cousin thrice removed :P

My friend and I were talking about how Asian ambulia (limnophila sessiliflora) got banned from crossing state lines in the US. Apparently some were accidentally introduced to US native waterways and the gov had plant harvesting machine come in and chop it up to bits in order to eliminate it. well guess what... being a STEM PLANT, every bit grew into a new plant and it soon took over.

Pure stupidity.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #10 
birdielikestomatoes

*Crunch crunch crunch.* He's gorgeous, aokashi! Also feel free to come out to Utah and plant my tanks. Yours are all so beautiful.
birdielikestomatoes is online now   Reply With Quote