Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #21 
daylily

I've done many since starting the tank up. The last one was right before adding the fish a week ago. My numbers are still really good, so I was planning on doing a change tomorrow.
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #22 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

But what I'd your regular water change schedule? Weekly 100 percent?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #23 
daylily

I don't have a schedule yet - tank is only 6 weeks old - I'm trying to work out a schedule now that I have a fish in there, and it is cycled.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

By 6 weeks you should have a scedule 2 50 or 1 100.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #25 
daylily

Sorry, I am trying to figure this out. The nitrates never got very high at all. Without fish... didn't realize I should have a water change schedule while cycling and getting plants started.

OldFishLady recommended to me this morning to do 50% every one to two weeks depending on growth and type of plants.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #26 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Really that's what was reccomended for my ten gallon filtered planted tank.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #27 
genemcg

Well, got the filter flow problem solved. I went to my local fish store and asked one of the staff about using a sponge to control the flow. He asked what kind of tank I had and he knew exactly what to do.

They have the same tank on display and he said they cut the rubber hose in the filter and inserted a ball valve. I bought one and just finished installing it. It works perfectly! I have the filter on the low setting and the ball valve open about 25%. Very low current now, but I feel good about having some circulation/filtration.

The fish seems to love it.
Attached Images

genemcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #28 
daylily

I have heard of using a ball valve, but didn't know what it was or where to get one. Next time I am at the larger store, I'll pick one up.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #29 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

We only have a Petco here.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #30 
isochronism

I had just registered so that I could post in this thread. I am planning on moving up to the Fluval Spec 5.6 tank. I will explain my "brief" history with this beautiful species. A womens Designer clothing, etc. shop next to where I live, decided to have a mascot. They named him Louis Vuitton (!) They furnished a little Betta Bowl with plastic colored type rocks, Betta pellets, water conditioner, tho did no research. I felt he needed a larger tank, heat, and stuff. After a week they realized the heat would soon be turned off at night. They asked me to babysit him for the winter. The day I took him in I went to the local small pet shop down the street and bought a one gallon goldfish bowl, small round bottom of tank 7 watt heater, thermometer, small river stones, and two small fake plants. He is situated on a wide bedroom window sill with a view of my bed and my rescue Pitt Bull, Angel on it. His other side view is of a bird feeder a few feet outside the window. He came to life and began his large bubble nest. I plan to get his second upgrade tank (Fluval) which I scoped out today at Petsmart, tomorrow. Just want to do a bit more reading tonight, first. I felt that two fish will not be much more work than one (in one tank). They have a partition that I can easily fit, a better heater, etc. These little guys do seem to grow on you!! :) I really enjoyed reading the different and very helpful threads all day on yesterday's Thanksgiving Day.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote