Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #1 
tangelo1

betta been sick a while

Our betta had a white patch on its side and seemed fine. it has developed into a thick white covering on his sides, (with some black spots, which were his) and much of the top fin seems to be badly damaged. I have been treating with salt and some heat and today started tetracycline as well, doing a 25% water change twice a day. He is eating and more responsive than before. On one side there seems to be a curve, like part of the white patch has left a crater, though he is not bleeding and does not appear to have an open wound. His swimming is very compromised and he stays with his head pointed skywards so he can breathe when necessary.
His breathing gets very labored above 80 degrees.
Any advice?
tangelo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

What size tank? Is it filtered? Has it been cycled? I know you're currently doing 25% twice a day but what is your normal water change schedule & how much water? Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrItes & nitrAtes using a liquid water test? If so, whater are the test results? Does he have tank mates? Does it appear that his flesh is rotting (for lack of a better word)? Need more information to be able to narrow down the problem.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I do not think that is enough Info.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #4 
tangelo1

Sorry. We had this fish for a while but he stayed with a neighbor. When we had him he has always been alone in a 1/2 gallon tank. It is not filtered. We did water changes every four days. Since getting him back I have moved him to a glass bowl which is a gallon but I am not giving him that much water since he struggles to get to the surface. I use water conditioner every time (always have, plus some tea tree oil, but not since we got him back) and as I said currently salt (it. per gallon) and tetracycline as of this morning. I have not tested the water.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #5 
tangelo1

BTW I would say he still is in at least a 1/2 gallon of water...
Old 10-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #6 
tangelo1

Trying to upload photo; you can see ulcer/ white patch on his side
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #7 
sainthogan

I've heard that tea tree oil is actually bad for Betta's as it coats their labryrinth lung (the one that allows them to breath air) and can cause them to drown.
Also a 1/2 gallon is too small and you would need to do more frequent water changes. Here is a helpful thread on water changes - note that 1/2 gallons are not listed as they are considered too small: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

Also, it sounds as if his tank is not heated, they are tropical fish and need to be in minimum of (depending on who you talk to) 74 to 76, warmer when they are sick. Room temp is not ok for Bettas, especially sick ones.

Please fill this out so people here can help you better:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #8 
tangelo1

Please see first post. Will fill in more later.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #9 
tangelo1

Thanks. First, there is currently no tea tree oil in the water. Thanks for yoru concern.
He is in less water as he cannot get to the top easily to breathe. He is in a one gallon bowl, with probably 1/2 gallon of water, perhaps a bit more.
I have heard air stones do nothing so no, we do not have one. We have had him for 3 years. Anything that causes bubbles stressed him out.
Current temp of tank is 74 degrees. I heat it up when I am home but only then as I watch him for stress; his breathing becomes labored at the high 70's or low 80's.
Water is conditioned, has 1t. of aquarium salt per gallon and as of yesterday added tetracycline.
He eats 2 pellets of food twice a day. He is still interested in eating. I change 25% of the water twice a day since we brought him home sick. Again, please refer to the first post for appearance change.
Cannot see how to attached pics...
Old 10-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #10 
tangelo1

pics of sick beta

hope these pics work; images are upside down but you can see his side well...
Attached Images