Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #1 
fatemah20

Swim bladder disorder help

Hey there,

I have a betta that I bought about 2 and a half years ago. The betta lives in a bowl that has about 1 gallon of water. The betta recently became sick and would sink to the bottom of the tank. On researching through google, I found that it had Swim bladder disorder and so was constipated. He didn't poo for quite a bit. Finally he pooed few days later and now he eats just fine and has a regular bowel movement. However, my problem is although he seems to have recovered that part, he still sinks to the bottom of the tank. HE swims more better but doesn't last much long swimming as he lets himself go and just sinks to the bottom. Does anyone know what is wrong now?
fatemah20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

How much are you feeding, how often & what? What is your water change schedule & how much? Did you ease him back in to eating?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #3 
fatemah20

When I first bought him I was advised to feed the betta only one pallet every alternate day. After reading online about betta feeding, most agreed it was too little food and the gap of every alternate day is too much so over the year after that I slowly increased his food intake to 2 pallets every alternate day. The year after that I changed it gradually to have it at one pallet a day. I found the betta more happier with this routine. Occasionally I would give him 2 pallets in one day. When he became sick I stopped food intake completely and fasted him for two days straight and tried the boiled pea solution but my betta rejected it, he didn't even touch or explore the the pea at all. After another day of fasting and another rejection to the pea, I gave him one pallet, the smallest I could find and he rejected that too. I thought he would starve to death so offered a frozen blood worm, again the smallest I could find and guess what he ate it. I did this for the next two-three days offering both a pallet or a blood worm and he seemed to always go for the blood worm. After his first bowel movement since the constipation stage I offered him pallets and he would eat like like he usually did before. After about a week, I began offering two pallets a day. Most times he ate it and when he only felt like eating one, I would remove the second one out of the tank. In terms of food variety, my betta is only fed pallets or blood worms.

In regards to water changes, I do a full water change to his water once every 10 days or lesser if the tank seems more dirtier then usual.(which is sometimes by 1 week). To prep the water, I use a conditioner and also add aquarium salt. However since the betta got sick and would be constantly at the bottom of the tank, I would prepare the water ina different container and when the water would be ready, I would take off 3/4 of the dirty water from his tank and would add the new conditioned water in the tank while the betta was still in the tank. I didn't want him to stress out being removed from his tank.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #4 
sainthogan

Is your bowl heated? The ideal temperature range for a Betta is 76 - 82 F.
Also for a 1 gallon you should be doing much more frequent water changes. Here is a helpful link on this forum on that: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
I know you've had him for a while, so he could also be getting old, although a truly healthy Betta kept in perfect conditions should live at least 5 years, while a Betta in so so conditions lives about 2 - 3 years.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #5 
fatemah20

His bowl is not heated.

Thanks for including the betta care article too. I guess am not changing his water often enough.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #6 
emeraldmaster

i had the same problem too, is it any diferent if they float at the top? mine turns sideways and floats there. sorry to steal the thread, it was there and i intended to ask today anyway... my Red used to sink like yours did, the only thing diferent is that afterward he floated at the top instead of the bottom. again, sorry.
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #7 
fatemah20

hello emeraldmaster, I have heard and read similar....the betta can either sink or float and have the same bladder disorder........What I read was that when a betta gets constipated the area that's bloated internally effects the part of the body that helps the fish swim and maintain it's balance. Therefore, the effect can be that the betta sinks or floats and has no control over it....
I hate to see my betta like this.....although it's not constipated anymore and has good bowel movements, it still seems to have not recovered from the sinking part...
Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #8 
emeraldmaster

same with my Red, the picture in my avatar of him was one of the rare moments that he was able to stay upright. Thank you.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #9 
fatemah20

So guys here's what I did. I bought a new bigger bowl hold up to 2.3 gallons of water. I bought a submersible heater for bowl >then 2 gallons and <10 gallons.

I have had my fish in a non heated bowl for 2 years now so I want to make sure i'm doing this correctly. I have filled the new bowl with water after rinsing it well and have added conditioner and some aquarium salt to it.

Her'es my questions:
- Do u all suggest I start heating the water from now or do you think I should wait another few hours for water to condition before adding the heater.
- I am planning to add mr. betta tonight when the water has had time to sit and condition well. It's 11 am right now so by 9pm I should be good. right?
- Should I add mr. betta inside right after the water is heated or would you suggest I add him first to water at room temperature then add the heater in to gradually increase the heat in water?

That's it for now in terms of questions
Old 11-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #10 
emeraldmaster

I would wait to heat the water untill the water is completely conditioned, but then again i like to be on the safe side.

i would also arm myself with a thermometer so as to take tempretures of the water and hold off on acclimating Mr. Betta untill water is fully heated.

as for to the heating of his temporary home, i would place it on the top, if it has a flat surface that i wouldnt knock him off. on top of the tank that is, heat rises up into the cup thus keeping at the temp of the tank. you could have a cloch place on the casing of the light and place his cup on that.

Hope this helped!