Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #41 
thirstydeer

So what do I do??? I have no idea what is wrong with him or how to treat him. I bought salt, how to I add it, the directions are so vague, it just says add 1/2 spoon for every Gallon, that's it.
thirstydeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #42 
Wendyjo

True about the light - I was assuming the OP looked at it with a light. OP - did you check him with a flashlight or are you just using the room/tank light.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #43 
thirstydeer

Those 2 pics i just posted are with a small flashlight.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #44 
Wendyjo

And you see no gold on him - like he was sprinkled with a very fine gold/rusty dust?

I don't use salt so I can't really help you there other than to tell you that you need to dissolve it before you add it. Did you check the sticky threads in the emergency/disease forum? I'm sure there's info there on the proper use of salt if that's what you choose to treat him with.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #45 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstydeer View Post
So what do I do??? I have no idea what is wrong with him or how to treat him. I bought salt, how to I add it, the directions are so vague, it just says add 1/2 spoon for every Gallon, that's it.
Yes let it dissolve in a separate container before adding it to the tank. You should use 1-2 tsp per gallon of conditioned water. If you have an adjustable heater, a higher temperature, such as 83 F might be helpful too. Do water changes daily until he shows signs of improvement
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #46 
Wendyjo

I wouldn't raise the temp unless you are using actual antibiotics. Right now you still don't know exactly what's wrong with him, and if it's bacterial raising the temp can make the problem worse as most bacteria thrive and multiply in warmer temps.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #47 
thirstydeer

I have done a change but have him in a jug right now, I put the flashlight up to him and one of his side fins is covered in what looks like a gold glitter with some slight green. And his spine and going down his back looks like someone has stuck glitter to him, it has some gold and some greeny colour. Looks like sparkly glitter. ? I added the salt, just waiting for the tank to heat up before putting him back.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #48 
jeremywadejunior

Are the spots distinct? This is an image of what velvet can appear like: http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...9,r:3,s:0,i:81

If he has velvet, he will need an anti-parasitic medication
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #49 
thirstydeer

no, it looks more like glitter rather then white. maybe just his colouring?
Old 11-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #50 
sainthogan

Your fish looks like he has velvet to me, that is what my fish looked like when she had it - but when I shined a flashlight on her, it was a goldish rusty color. Velvet can occur from dirty water. If you weren't changing the water very often, then this is most definitely the cause.
I used Quick Cure to help heal her. I got it at Wal-Mart, but you can get it at most pet stores. There are other medications you can use that are specifically for velvet that you will find at pet stores. You put in the amount of drops it says everyday and do very frequent small water changes or 100% if it's a very small tank.

Good Luck
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote