Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #51 
ANHEL123

Pre mix 2tsp/gall aquarium salt in one gall jug or in the container. I read very briefly all pages so not sure if you have him in the hospital tank? You will need to do 100% daily water changes. So it easier to do in smaller container or just lower the water in his tank.

Temperature over 85-86* will speed up parasites life cycle and help them to fall faster so you can remove them manually with water changes. So if you can raise the temp it will help.

I world take everything out of the tank and just wash it in the hot water and let it dry out for a few a week- it will kill parasites. No host they die.

Always rinse and dry out a net and changing container between uses it will kill parasites.
Aquarium salt you can use up to 14 days. Don't use salt less than 10 days.

I would buy medications in case you need to use it after salt. You always can return them if you don't have to use it.

Velvet will get worse with light. So if you have one for his tank don't use it.
When you do 100% water change make sure you introduce him slowly to the new water. Just add new water to his changing cup and let him get use to it for a few minutes and do it a few times.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #52 
thirstydeer

can i mix velvet medicine in the tank with salt?
thirstydeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #53 
ANHEL123

If you using medication i would use them along and when you finish with meds then you can continue aquarium salt. This way you prolong the treatment in case he still has it and also aquarium salt prevent secondary infection which can happened after parasites detached from the body.

I would also do daily water changes along with medications and just redose the medications dose each time . For example if you need to increase the dose in 24 hrs just change the water and put required dose. But acclimate him slowly to the new water. This way you will remove parasites that falls from him each time you do water changes. Still wash/dry all equipment you using.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #54 
sainthogan

Just remember that aquarium salt is only to be used for a max of 10 days (it might be 14 depending on the brand's instructions)
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #55 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

IAL and aquarium salt are great even places like Amazon.com sell IAL.

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 11-17-2012 at 07:09 PM.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #56 
thirstydeer

SO today I bought some Maracide so, I have just done a full water change, I took his decs and plants out, washed them with hot water and will leave them out, I do not have a hospital tank, so I will just make sure i clean it well. I have added the Maracide and some salt, I was told by a guy who works with fish that it is safe to use salt with it and will not effect the medication. I am waiting for the tank to heat up before adding him back. He is eating and seems to be calmer with his breathing as he looked like he was gasping before. He is still flashing and dashing around, and his fins look torn, maybe from the parsite or from dashing around? I hope this works. I do have one question it says to treat him on days 1,3 and 5. So do I just change the water on those treatment days, it says on the instructions as long as levels are normal no need to change while treating, so I am not sure what to do on that one?
Old 11-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #57 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Only aquarium salt is safe and Epsom salt. Asking per store clerks for help is a bad idea always do research.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #58 
thirstydeer

It is aquarium salt! API brand. I've been doing lots of research.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #59 
sainthogan

Hmm... I'm not sure, maybe go with the directions for now and see how he reacts, some bettas have very strong reactions to aquarium salt, so if he seems to be stressing as a result, then definitely change the water on the treatment days. Otherwise, just change the water at the end of the treatment cycle.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #60 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Teaspoon per gallon.