Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #61 
BettaGirl228

Smile Worried about my Baby Betta!!!

Ok so i think my baby has Swim bladder because she keeps swimming weird then she floats on her side idk if shes just bloated or what. I'm a bit worried about her and please don't comment about me not having a heater and such I know i need a heater and whatnot. What do i do? I gave her a pea and she ate half of it last time i gave her a pea she was fine the next day i think she just needs to poop lol I don't know what to do.Please help me!!! The cute thing is my female betta is watching her she watches out for the baby its so cute to watch i think she might be worried about her too. Hopefully she will be better tomorrow,*FINGERS CROSSED* I may have to go to Petco and get a heater tomorrow. Any suggestion on what to do????
BettaGirl228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #62 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swim_bladder_disease
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #63 
BettaGirl228

Thanks a bunch :)
BettaGirl228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #64 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Your welcome.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #65 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstydeer View Post
SO today I bought some Maracide so, I have just done a full water change, I took his decs and plants out, washed them with hot water and will leave them out, I do not have a hospital tank, so I will just make sure i clean it well. I have added the Maracide and some salt, I was told by a guy who works with fish that it is safe to use salt with it and will not effect the medication. I am waiting for the tank to heat up before adding him back. He is eating and seems to be calmer with his breathing as he looked like he was gasping before. He is still flashing and dashing around, and his fins look torn, maybe from the parsite or from dashing around? I hope this works. I do have one question it says to treat him on days 1,3 and 5. So do I just change the water on those treatment days, it says on the instructions as long as levels are normal no need to change while treating, so I am not sure what to do on that one?

Do medications first or if you really want aquarium salt start with 1 tsp/gall. Don't just add a little bit. It very important to follow right dosage instructions. So if you already added it fine. With aquarium salt you need to do daily water changes. So do daily water changes it also will help to remove parasites that already fell. Every time when you do water change add the same dose of medications. On day 3 change the water and add double dose just like directions on the medications tell you to add another dose. So just change the water and add required dosage of medications. The same on day 5 -add required dosage. Is it make sense?
Day 1 you just keep adding the same dose, day 3 double dose and day 5 triple dose. But introduce him slowly to the new water. Every time you changing him have him in the changing cup with original water from the tank.
Dry out all equipment after each uses.

Each time when you change him of course prepare new water with 1 tsp/gall aq salt. When you done with medications , continue salt treatment up to 10 days, 14 days.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #66 
thirstydeer

Thank you, yes i used half a teaspoon per gallon like it said.
thirstydeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #67 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Reall many sources say 1 teaspoon per gallon.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #68 
ANHEL123

Yes never follow the box instructions it just for preventative care. And it not good to use aquarium salt on regular basis anyway. Recommended dose for aquarium salt is 1tsp/gall up to 3 tsp/gall. So see how he doing after medications. Sometimes you can use it longer than instructions tell you to. Also depending on how he doing you can increase the salt dosage. Since you are treating him with medications you can use 1 tsp but without meds you would need 2-3tsp/gall. So when you done with meds i would continue salt to finish 10-14 days treatment. Don't stop because you think he is better. He might acting better but you need to be sure you got rid of them completely, especially the ones that can hide in the gills. And if he was gasping for air he has them in the gills.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 11-18-2012 at 10:27 AM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #69 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Actually a small amount used regularly all water has salinity.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #70 
thirstydeer

Thank you, today, he has been swimming around a bit, so there is a little improvement. He is swimming around right now, i noticed when i flashed a light on him, I can see the gold patches and his gills almost look lumpy, his skin looks worse then yesterday. but he seems to have more energy, but hasn't eaten today yet, he did eat last night. I think he might be stressed, i think i see a faint stress stripe going down his body, his body is blue and the stripe is a faint lighter grey-white colour. I did make sure he got used to the temp before putting him back in his tank after the change. etc, adding water slowly from the tank.
thirstydeer is offline   Reply With Quote