Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #1 
MIKEV1

Female finnage?

I was just wondering if anyone could show me a site that would help me tell the difference between the different tails on female bettas? Or can someone just describe to me how the tails are different or any difference in the females.

Thanks!
MIKEV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Well, what females do you have or are looking to have? I got a few pics I could show you.

CROWNTAIL: obvious. Hers however are rather messy, some will have a cleaner line, and better rays,

PLAKAT (avatar) the ANAL fin is what you look at. That fin, compared to a veiltail should NOT swoop under the caudal (tail). Plus they are usually thicker bodied.

VEILTAIL, as mentioned above they should have that swoopy anal fin. (pic curteousy of google) they may also have longer fins, and some can be mistaken for juvenile males.

DOUBLETAIL: do not have a picture, but these you should be able to identify.

HOWEVER... there is what I have, and I have mistaken as a veiltail. doubletail geno. There is no split, however the dorsal, caudal and anal are all very wide compared to a veiltail (picture of my Janey shown) excuse the rough shape of her caudal... I bred her before this picture was taken.

Combtail, picture curteousy of google. Won't have the full on spikes of the crown. Not much I know about these fellas, someone may have to fill in

Hopefully I kinda sorta half helped :)

***** edit: doubletail picture, my own, of a 3 week old fry. split in the tail. females will have this, and obviously not as long of fins as a male would.
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #3 
MIKEV1

Aaaaah I see this helped me a little bit still confused but u helped me haha. And I was just looking for some halfmoon or plakat females.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Nice choices halfmoon I have no idea (but might when my spawn is older). Plakats always seem thicker.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #5 
MIKEV1

Oh I see I think I know how to tell them better now thank you!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

No problem :) I learned the difference between Veiltail and Plakat... only because of the "swoop" of the anal fin