Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #1 
JessSH

Exclamation Rescue Fish Near Death!!!

Hey guys! Iíve been offline for a couple months due to an illness & glad to be back, but not for this reason. I really need help and/or reassurance Iím doing everything I can! I got a new guy on Tuesday from PetCo. He was near death & although heís improved slightly, Iím very concerned heíll die.

Tuesday: When I found him, his lower Ĺ was lying on the bottom & he was REALLY struggling to make it to the top for air. I brought him home & immediately transferred him to a tank with 1 inch of warm water (approx. 80) with SeaChem Prime. I didnít acclimate him because I didnít feel it could wait. His gills were so swollen he couldnít even close them all the way. There were stuck open maybe ľ of the way. I covered him with a towel for the night.
Yesterday: The gill swelling was still there, although dramatically lessened. He has a lot of fight in him & was determined to swim a little. He still had to drag his lower Ĺ but he was trying to get his tail to work. I gave him some live bloodworms around 4PM & 10PM & that definitely perked him up! He couldnít suck them up but he would take a bite. He even made the effort to swim/drag after the ones that got away although the effort clearly exhausted him & he ended up Ĺ laying on his side & his upper Ĺ elevated a bit. That seems to be his default position. I changed his water & added a double dose of Stress Coat+.
Today: He pooped! It was a nugget, not the normal ones I get from my others, but it was normal color & it was pretty large for such a tiny fish so Iím guessing he was constipated even though heís so emaciated. I fed him bloodworms this morning & tonight & he actually swam for a very short distance!!! He also searched the tank for more & was able to suck it up rather than take a bite. His gills are only slightly inflamed, he made a bubble nest & when I bent down to check on him I think he flared at me. He does that every once in a while, I think because of the swelling, so it may have been a coincidence. He had problems after eating & went back to his default position. I think/hope it was exhaustion from moving so much (for him) during eating. Iím getting worried again though because after I fed him this evening, I did a water change a double dose of SC+ and now heís practically laying on his side breathing heavily through his gills. Iím hoping itís from the stress of the water change & heíll be ok.

I feel helpless. Because of his improvements, Iím trying to feel hopeful, but its difficult when he has ups & downs. In a nutshell, all Iím doing is feeding, keeping water clean & warm & covering him with a towel. Water level is about 1.25 inches. Is there anything additional I can do? Iíve heard sick fish give off more ammonia, should I switch back to SeaChem? Iíve held off on AQ Salt because Iím worried heís so weak even that could kill him. This is only pic I have of him. Heís in his ďdefault positionĒ. You can kinda see his gills. For some personal reasons, I am already very attached to this little one so any help is very appreciated & sorry for the super long post!
Attached Images

JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

Sounds like Sluggles when I found him.
All the pictures are gone but the info is still in this thread if you want to take a look.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=88932

Here is what he looked like.

What I did was, I kept him in his cup but floated him in a tank with a heater. I taped the cup to the side so the male in the tank couldnt tip it over. Full water changes might be to much at this stage, so if you have a turkey baster or syringe use that to change the water. switch 1/2 out about 2X a day. When he was able to flare at the male in the tank, then i switched him into something bigger but only filled it with about 2 inches of water because he still couldn't swim.

I think I treated him with Maracyn 2 thinking he may of had an internal bacterial infection. After having him a week, I drove out of Alaska to NY and he was normal when I arrived here 2 weeks later.

he is perfectly normal now -except his tail fin never regrew properly. Its missing a few rays

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-16-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #3 
Wendyjo

Wow Tiki, look at that ammonia reading! Did you show that to the store where you got him from?
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #4 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
if there's lots of ammonia, do a 100% water change once.
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Leaf View Post
no you should never do that little leaf. the shock will be too great. a drip acclimitization method will be the best
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #6 
RaptorX8

To JessSH: If you're concerned about ammonia, I've used both Prime and stress coat at the same time when treating my fish. If he's constipated, frozen daphnia is the best thing. I have some in my freezer that I bought for a fish that didn't make it in time. So now I have it for the future just in case. I can't think of anything other than what you're doing and just hope the little guy pulls through.

To everyone concerning Tiki and the ammonia: Tiki was just posting pictures of a betta from a while ago. No doubt the ammonia is what was in the cup from the store.
RaptorX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #7 
Wendyjo

I know that (about Tikis fish) but there's still no excuse for ammonia to be that high in the cup, which is why I asked if she showed that pic to the store manager! I sure would have - let them see just how lame they are in the way they take care of their stock. That's just as unacceptable at a petstore as selling rotten food in a grocery store would be.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #8 
whatsupyall

Whew! I knew they were tolerant little fishes! Good job rescuing him Jesssh.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Wow Tiki, look at that ammonia reading! Did you show that to the store where you got him from?
He came from walmart and I worked there so I know first hand the managers do not care. Plus I never saw anyone in the pet section, other then the people who stock at night.

I was just posting the pics because what the opening poster was saying sounded very similar to the symptoms sluggles displayed when I got him. I actually got one from petco where the ammonia in the cup turned the water blue . Both fish are doing very well.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Leaf

no you should never do that little leaf. the shock will be too great. a drip acclimitization method will be the best
Yup. I think where alot of people go wrong is taking the fish out of nasty water and putting them into fresh, clean water too soon. A normal acclimation process is still too quick if they happen to have a high ammonia level in their cup. That's why I usually test their cup water - so I know what I am dealing with ammonia wise. Plus it makes me feel cool to bring out the test tubes

Jess - how is he doing?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #10 
sainthogan

Since you said that he was constipated, maybe reduce his feedings a little, maybe skip one day if you think he can handle it or only feed him one blood worm instead of a few. The stress of being constipated and then eating on top of that, may have caused his recent set back.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote